Lion running hot?

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
I upgraded to Lion today and noticed my mac is pretty hot. I will just be web browsing and my MBP will be at 76C. Anyone else notice a heat increase with lion?

Edit: Actually it looks like it was so hot because it was indexing all the stuff for spotlight. After it finished, it cooled back down.

Last edited:
Yeah, it makes my MBP run hot too. Not sure wtf is up with that. I just got a 2011 Macbook Air and it runs much cooler, so I dunno.

I got a new Mini yesterday and the fan was audible for a few hours, which surprised me. Not heard a peep from it today though and it's been Handbrake-ing for hours. It must have been the fresh install and the indexing.

Spotlight indexing is a big reason as others have said, but I'd also imagine that more parts of the OS are using GPU acceleration now. I'm sure Webkit2's sandboxing is also not exactly the most efficient process yet.

Just keep in mind that Lion is doing more in the background than Snow Leopard.

I loaded it on my 2011 MBP, last night, but haven't used it enough to notice any increased heat.

Another thing I have noticed is that my fan RPM goes up more quickly than it did in 10.6. It used to get really hot and it would just sit there at 2000rpm. It would have to get really hot before it would start ramping up. Now it will actually go up to keep the CPU at a more reasonable temperature. Although there is a bit louder humming sound from the fan, I enjoy the extra coolness and well being for my CPU.

Yeah, my MBP definitely is running warmer after the Lion installation. I also am having some quirky issues with Boot Camp - jittery performance, slow booting. I Time Machined everything before switching to Lion and will go back to Snow Leopard.

Back