Lion release?

I finally grabbed it today and installed it tonight. Weird default scrolling, but I do like it so far.

I finally grabbed it today and installed it tonight. Weird default scrolling, but I do like it so far.

I agree, but you can change it back if you want. Overall I am satisfied as everything still works for me.

so basically I can't really control spaces in lion? I can only "fullscreen" apps into their own space, and it's always to the right? Ugh. Many years of muscle memory is being abruptly messed with. Lame.

Am I wrong here?

so basically I can't really control spaces in lion? I can only "fullscreen" apps into their own space, and it's always to the right? Ugh. Many years of muscle memory is being abruptly messed with. Lame.

Am I wrong here?

There is a setting in Mission Control that automatically arranges your applications based on useage. Have you tried to uncheck that? Or are you more upset that it's not in a box, rather a straight line?

There is a setting in Mission Control that automatically arranges your applications based on useage. Have you tried to uncheck that? Or are you more upset that it's not in a box, rather a straight line?

Yea, I was used to a certain setup with certain apps in certain spaces - for many years. Also you can't just drag things around to new spaces. Now that the vertical component is gone, I feel like they removed some useful functionality.

I know I'm bitching and moaning here, but why are they removing functionality like this?

Also iCal is ugly. Why does apple insist on the stupid "make it look like it's made of paper" paradigm. For me, the beauty is seeing data simply without all the gobbledygook.

This is the first time I've ever regretted updating an OS, especially OS X. Next time I'll do more research before diving in...

What are the positive effects I have gained from this update?

I know I'm bitching and moaning here, but why are they removing functionality like this?

Because when they add it back in with an update, it will be a "feature" :p

Anyway, I didn't know that spaces functionality had changed like that. That's too bad.

I'm going to try upgrading this weekend. I'm hearing some grumblings, but more 'good to go' than 'stab my face', so I'm taking that as a green light.

looks like i'll pass. i like things exactly the way they are with SL. heck, i even avoided the update that installed the app store.

alas, ill be stuck with lion when i buy a mac mini. i'll find out then if its worth it on the mbp.

Yea, I was used to a certain setup with certain apps in certain spaces - for many years. Also you can't just drag things around to new spaces. Now that the vertical component is gone, I feel like they removed some useful functionality.

Are you sure there isn't an option somewhere to allow this again? Spaces and Expose are the things I love most about my workflow in OS X, if they are mucking it up I may have to stay with SL.

Also has anyone done a clean install? If I do upgrade that was my plan. Not sure how that works with it being an app store download.

They didn't remove any functionality. They just changed the metaphor. Instead of a grid, you have a line, just like Cover Flow. You can still assign specific apps to specific spaces (right-click/two finger click the icon in the Dock -> Options -> Assign To).

Also has anyone done a clean install? If I do upgrade that was my plan. Not sure how that works with it being an app store download.

There are no benefits to performing a clean install. This isn't Windows. You don't need to flatten your drive every six months. Any benefits you derive from doing a clean install will be placebo, nothing more.

This should help some.

You can still assign specific apps to specific spaces (right-click/two finger click the icon in the Dock -> Options -> Assign To).

You can only do this while in Mission Control.

Last edited:
There are no benefits to performing a clean install. This isn't Windows. You don't need to flatten your drive every six months. Any benefits you derive from doing a clean install will be placebo, nothing more.

A recent OS X update put my Spotlight on the fritz. It just chews away on my CPU. I tried a reindex with sudo mdutil -avE, but it didn't change anything. Right now I have Spotlight disabled so my MacBook Pro doesn't turn into a lap grill. I was only going for a clean install to unwonk that.

Are you sure there isn't an option somewhere to allow this again? Spaces and Expose are the things I love most about my workflow in OS X, if they are mucking it up I may have to stay with SL.

Nope, they took all the customizability of spaces away.

I've been hitting Command-downarrow all day because I used to have my email in a space down there. Can't do that anymore. Only spaces to the right.

I guess I can eventually get used to things - It's just frustrating!!!!

Nope, they took all the customizability of spaces away.

I've been hitting Command-downarrow all day because I used to have my email in a space down there. Can't do that anymore. Only spaces to the right.

I guess I can eventually get used to things - It's just frustrating!!!!

You'll get used to it.

So far stuff I really don't like.

-Mission control. I want my expose and spaces back the way they were. I am so used to 4 fingers down shows everything, 4 fingers up shows the desktop and changing muscle memory hasn't been easy. I am also not digging how new spaces work. Spaces 1 2 and 3 are where I lived. I knew that anything I was working on would be in 1, all my social media / chat stuff would be in 2 and email / web browsing would be in 3. Simple command+right or down or command + 1/2/3 would get me right where I wanted to be. Again just a muscle memory thing, but it has been messing with my workflow.
-Launchpad. There is no point for it. I have a dock, and an applications folder. Everything I need instant access to is in my dock, or a stack. Everything else is in apps which I usually just access through spotlight.
-"Natural" Scrolling. There is nothing natural about this, unless you are someone who inverts your scroll by choice. I naturally scroll that way on my Tablet and iPhone, but on a laptop I want standard scrolling (thankfully this can be disabled).
-FileVault and recovery partition can not be used unless your SL partition is the first partition on the drive. I'm sure there is a good reason for it, just pisses me off.

Overall the changes from SL are not that many. To me the only advantage so far other then liking the updated Aqua is SMB 2.0 which makes file sharing between 10.7 and Windows much better. I have noticed no speed improvements and no extra battery. For those saying they will pass I don't blame you. Currently I am dual booting 10.6 and 10.7 (along with Windows). For the time being I think I will stick with 10.6 until 10.7.1 drops.

-Launchpad. There is no point for it. I have a dock, and an applications folder. Everything I need instant access to is in my dock, or a stack. Everything else is in apps which I usually just access through spotlight.

Just don't use it. Launchpad has replaced my Applications stack. I got used to it pretty quickly. It needs to be more ambitious than just an iOS-like icon splash, but it's better than the sort of hack-y method of just putting a folder in the Dock.

-"Natural" Scrolling. There is nothing natural about this, unless you are someone who inverts your scroll by choice. I naturally scroll that way on my Tablet and iPhone, but on a laptop I want standard scrolling (thankfully this can be disabled).

Highly disagreed. You have no idea how many people I've seen describe scrolling up as "moving down the page" and vice-versa. This is a huge deal for people, especially those getting Macs as part of the iPhone halo effect. And since it's easily deactivated in System Preferences, I don't know why people would waste time complaining about it.

For those saying they will pass I don't blame you.

Bad idea.

Last edited:
Just don't use it. Launchpad has replaced my Applications stack. I got used to it pretty quickly. It needs to be more ambitious than just an iOS-like icon splash, but it's better than the sort of hack-y method of just putting a folder in the Dock.

Highly disagreed. You have no idea how many people I've seen describe scrolling up as "moving down the page" and vice-versa. This is a huge deal for people, especially those getting Macs as part of the iPhone halo effect. And since it's easily deactivated in System Preferences, I don't know why people would waste time complaining about it.
You really hate when people dislike something Apple makes, don't you? ;)

I find it hilarious that OSX finally does folder merging (and not overwriting all your data) and Apple counts that as a feature. After years of being told that merging is not 'the right thing to do'.

I agree Launch pad is a fucking gimmick and completely pointless...

To be fair, Mr. Siracusa's Ars review points out, and rightly so, how being the tech guy of the family, it will make things so much easier when I need to tell my parents how to access an application over the phone.

I find it hilarious that OSX finally does folder merging (and not overwriting all your data) and Apple counts that as a feature. After years of being told that merging is not 'the right thing to do'.

No it shouldn't be listed as a feature, but no one has ever said it's "not the right thing to do."

To be fair, Mr. Siracusa's Ars review points out, and rightly so, how being the tech guy of the family, it will make things so much easier when I need to tell my parents how to access an application over the phone.

No it shouldn't be listed as a feature, but no one has ever said it's "not the right thing to do."

I don't see how it's any easier than clicking the application stack. Or clicking Spotlight and typing.

I don't see how it's any easier than clicking the application stack. Or clicking Spotlight and typing.

My dock is hidden. I keep all my "second tier" apps in the launchpad, and have it assigned to the upper-left hotcorner. Rather than waiting for my dock to unhide and then clicking on a stack, I just swipe up and to the left and click the icon I want in Launchpad. It's actually pretty useful.

And in case I accidentally trigger the hot corner when trying to click the Apple menu (which I usually do for System Preferences) I have the System Preferences app in the upper left of the launchpad.

Clevar is me.

Well, it looks like I don't have a choice in the matter. I have to support some users who are upgrading, so I have to also. My biggest complaint is that minimized windows are lost unless you remember you minimized them (If you have minimize behind app set).

How I got my trackpad functional again...

-System Preferences->Trackpad->Scroll & Zoom:
-De-select "Scroll direction: natural"

-System Preferences->Trackpad->More Gestures:
-Change "Swipe between pages" to "Swipe left or right with three fingers"
-De-select "Swipe between full-screen apps"
-De-select "Mission Control"
-De-select "App Expose"

-Install BetterTouchTool (http://blog.boastr.net/)
-BetterTouchTool->Trackpad/Magic Trackpad:
-Add Four Finger Swipe Down gesture = Expose
-Add Four Finger Swipe Up gesture = Show Desktop

I will be the first one to say that then. I hated the overwrite so much, first time I ever found out about it I lost all of my pictures from high school (10 years ago).

Plenty have defended OSX's default behavior, and even suggested that merging would confuse the user since it adds files to what you were copying.

I don't like where OSX is headed (or should we call it iOS). Mobile OS's are feature limited for a reason, they should not be the template for a desktop experience.

Couple of notes I have taken for when I upgrade.
Library folder is hidden by default, may not matter for most, but something to be aware of.
Sites folder not created by default, but will be after you start up local apache.

Plenty have defended OSX's default behavior, and even suggested that merging would confuse the user since it adds files to what you were copying.

I don't like where OSX is headed (or should we call it iOS). Mobile OS's are feature limited for a reason, they should not be the template for a desktop experience.

But OSX has limited any features, only given you more ways to access those features.

I dislike when people complain about things they can easily change or fix in the time it takes to write the complaint.

To be fair not everything can easily be changed or "fixed". As you've said, some things just take some getting used to, but that entails the person accepting a change they may dislike.

Lion has a lot of awesome features. A lot of its features though not everyone may like. It doesn't mean they don't like the OS in general though. :) You don't have to have 100% love for something.

\No it shouldn't be listed as a feature, but no one has ever said it's "not the right thing to do."

Admittedly Apple has long been heralding long-time features of others' products as "amazingly, earth-shattering features" of their own. Look at how OS X is just now getting proper disk encryption or full-application sandboxing. I'm sure when they ultimately push full TRIM support, that'll be an "revolutionary change". ;)

Most, including desktop veteran users, would disagree with you on this. The limitations of mobile platforms has resulted not in feature-deprived crapware like the Blackberry and Windows Mobile days, but in aggressively designed, easier to use applications that do a better job of presenting and sorting information and navigation than their comparatively lazy desktop counterparts.

The desktop realm has a lot of baggage that needs to be shed. That doesn't necessarily mean OS X needs to be a larger iOS, but it does mean that maybe we're ready to move past the desktop paradigm.

To be fair not everything can easily be changed or "fixed". As you've said, some things just take some getting used to, but that entails the person accepting a change they may dislike.

Notice that, in my post in question, I specifically replied only to the complaints that were easily fixed. I did not respond to the rest, because those are either matters of preference and thus not my place to say one way or another, or were legitimate criticisms that cannot be easily adjusted by toggling a preference.

Hate natural scrolling? Turn it off. Done. Does not get in your way ever again. Hate Launchpad? It's entirely optional. It doesn't replace the Applications folder or the Applications stack. Drag the icon out of the Dock and never use it again.

Last edited:
I've had a couple of hard lockups since installing Lion that I never had under snow leopard. Apps can hang a bit when launching.

Also when I double click a video file in quicktime it will also open all the recent quicktime videos. So click one movie and pop a dozen windows at once. I haven't found how to disable that. Any ideas?
This occurs even though i've completely quit quicktime previously.

Also when I double click a video file in quicktime it will also open all the recent quicktime videos. So click one movie and pop a dozen windows at once. I haven't found how to disable that. Any ideas?
This occurs even though i've completely quit quicktime previously.

This is the Resume feature of Lion in action. You're closing the app without closing the individual video. Therefore, when you reopen Quicktime, it will automatically reload the videos you had open before, because you quit while they were still active.

This is the Resume feature of Lion in action. You're closing the app without closing the individual video. Therefore, when you reopen Quicktime, it will automatically reload the videos you had open before, because you quit while they were still active.

Ah, that's it then. Closing them individually does work.

Would be nice if the resume function could be adjusted for each app.

Can this be disabled too ?

Talk about a nightmare for some.

Can this be disabled too ?

Talk about a nightmare for some.

It's systemwide. It's a convenience. To compensate, there's new behavior where closing all windows will signal the OS after a few seconds to close the app. For example, if you have three images open in Preview, close two, then quit the app, the one remaining image will be opened when you reload Preview. But if you close all three images, then Preview will quit because you have nothing open. That compromise was likely aimed at switchers, possibly incorporating familiarity with iOS' "out of sight, out of mind" app management concept, too.

Not sure how app resumption constitutes a nightmare, but I suppose people bring out the hyperbole when something changes.

Back