Lion release?

question about performance, how would lion run vs leopard on a core 2 duo 2.8Ghz Imac with 4G of ram be?

is it more refined?

is it all 64bit, wasnt leopard only partially 64bit or something?

Not quite released yet, I'm expecting around 9, as that's when the nearest apple store opens on weekdays.

I'm excited, I can't wait to see what that set of new SKUs are, I'm really hoping one is a new Mac Pro, hopefully with the intel 8 core chips..

Lion is up in the Mac App Store! Still waiting on the hardware updates and for the Apple Store online to come back up

Macbook Airs are up on the Store Core i5-i7 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz, 64GB to 256GB SSD, 2-4GB RAM, $999 - $1699 pricing.

Mac Minis are up as well, No optical drives, up to 750GB + 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Server includes a quad core i7 2- 8GB RAM. $599 - $2199 pricing

Basically, they took the last gen Mini Server, and used that chassis for both systems. Pretty slick, in my opinion.

:-( No Mac Pros....

New LED Cinema Display as well, Thunderbolt - Capable of Daisy chaining displays (Only says you can daisy chain 2 displays, I wonder if you can daisy chain more than that.) Capable of daisy chaining up to 6 devices.

Last edited:
This download is taking forever. Reminds me of downloading Xcode.

Macbook Airs are up on the Store Core i5-i7 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz, 64GB to 256GB SSD, 2-4GB RAM, $999 - $1699 pricing.

Mac Minis are up as well, No optical drives, up to 750GB + 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Server includes a quad core i7 2- 8GB RAM. $599 - $2199 pricing

Basically, they took the last gen Mini Server, and used that chassis for both systems. Pretty slick, in my opinion.

:-( No Mac Pros....

New LED Cinema Display as well, Thunderbolt - Capable of Daisy chaining displays (Only says you can daisy chain 2 displays, I wonder if you can daisy chain more than that.) Capable of daisy chaining up to 6 devices.

They also killed the Macbooks or so I read

Well, it is 3.4GB... and I'm sure EVERYONE and their mother is downloading it.

They also killed the Macbooks or so I read
It does appear that way, they are no longer on the Apple Store site, nor on the Apple Mac site.

Not like those were worth purchasing when you can get the same pixel count, but smaller screen size MBA for the same price. In my testing with some MBAs I purchased for the company I work for, the MBA was significantly faster than the white MB.

New mini also gets a Radeon 6630m. HDMI supports multichannel out. Now for an HTPC I have to wonder if it supports 7.1 and potentially bitstreaming of DTS-MA HD/TrueHD(with the right software of course). I know Radeon's support it, the question is if apple gimped it like they have on previous minis.

I'm glad that its back to being $600 instead of $700. I'm hoping refurbs will be $500. I'd like to get one for my parents.

So Lion still has some of the same issue from back in DP4. My FPS in WoW has gone down, my temps are up across the board(62c GPU, CPU at 47c, not doing anything other than typing this) and Safari won't open as it doesn't like the last pass plug in. But without it opening I can't even disable the plugin. So no safari for now.

Also itunes won't download the 11 app updates that I have. No error, just doesn't do anything. And having network connectivity issues.

Last edited:
Don't forget to make a copy of the installer before you run the upgrade if you want to make a boot disk or simply don't want to download it again on other computers, etc.

Most of my widgets don't work either, including the stock apple widgets.

Taking the plunge on my old MacBook Pro. Not sure if I really want to jump right in on my main Mac.

Also itunes won't download the 11 app updates that I have. No error, just doesn't do anything. And having network connectivity issues.

This isn't an iTunes issue, it's a store issue. I'm having the same problem: apps will download correctly through the iOS App Store but not through the iTunes Store. Once I sync my iPhone, the update registers with iTunes and it removes the app update from the pending list.

This started last week, right around the time iTunes Connect went down for price adjustment.

Is someone else logged into your iTunes store? It will tell you that you have 11 upgrades but it won't download anything if the owner of those apps isn't logged into the store.

Is someone else logged into your iTunes store? It will tell you that you have 11 upgrades but it won't download anything if the owner of those apps isn't logged into the store.

Well we do all share the same apple ID. However no, no one else is logged in. Just the one ID.

I was able to download the updates one at a time. Just can't download them all at once.

Since Lion now includes a virtualization license, can I buy it and run under vmware on a pc?

Installed on my 2011 iMac i5 12 gb ram, no major issues yet... will report back.

Mouse or trackpad won't wake the display when it's sleeping. Have to actually hit a button on the keyboard. Just when the display sleeps, not the computer itself. The mouse would wake the display under snow leopard. Perhaps that's a feature?

The imac itself won't go to sleep on it's own(didn't under SL either) but it will if I tell it to. However under bootcamp in Win7 it will sleep on it's own.

'08 MBP. Restarted for the installer. Spinning wheel for the last 10 minutes or so. How kong should this take?

Mouse or trackpad won't wake the display when it's sleeping. Have to actually hit a button on the keyboard. Just when the display sleeps, not the computer itself. The mouse would wake the display under snow leopard. Perhaps that's a feature?

Yes, it's an intentional change in sleep/wake behavior.

I'm digging it so far. I just need to get used to the new gestures and scrolling (inverted is weird). I do like Mission Control. Nice way to implement Expose and Space together.

Back