Lion release?

Axiom7

Limp Gawd
It has been almost 2 years since I have been here! Wow, that is waaay too long. Ok. I am hearing rumors that Lion will be released this week. Specifically, the 16th. Is anyone a dev here and received a gold master?

Thanks Guys!

Mike.

IIRC the rumours are for the 14th for the 'retail' launch on the app store and new MBAs?

I've been running the GM for over a week now. I never had any issues with DP4 but the GM has been having issues with the interface lagging or locking up entirely leaving me unable to use the menubar, dock or even switch between applications sometimes requiring a reboot and other times lagging for a few minutes before it starts responding again.

That's not good news. Is the GM a .dmg or an .iso burnable to disk and installable?

I have developer access to it, but haven't downloaded or installed it yet. I'm getting a second HDD ready this morning.

That's not good news.

On the other hand, there aren't any widespread reports of problems with the GM. This may or may not be due to the NDA, but give the amount of Lion information out there already, I doubt the NDA would prevent those with problems from saying so, as Ankle has done.

On the other other hand, Apple has quickly issued point updates for new OS releases, usually within a couple of weeks of launch.

I had severe problems with DP4. I'm hoping I don't run into the same issue with 10.7.0.

I'm hearing weird things about Lion so far, I think I will sit back and watch for a bit this time! That said the GM is floating around and it looks like it will release this week.

IIRC the rumours are for the 14th for the 'retail' launch on the app store and new MBAs?

I've been running the GM for over a week now. I never had any issues with DP4 but the GM has been having issues with the interface lagging or locking up entirely leaving me unable to use the menubar, dock or even switch between applications sometimes requiring a reboot and other times lagging for a few minutes before it starts responding again.

I have heard a whole slew of date rumors, from tomorrow, all the way till Friday, everyone is just shotting Lion's in a barrel (lol, see it?).

Anyway, the GM on my end hasn't experience the issues you stated but I'll be sure to keep my eye out, I don't have a ton of additional menubar software which I've found is sometimes the culprite.

That's not good news. Is the GM a .dmg or an .iso burnable to disk and installable?

The GM is an app that you can run, or you can go into the Package Contents, get the DMG, and restore it to a DVD or thumb drive. Then you can boot into the installer and install a fresh version easy.

I formatted my Snow Leopard disk and installed Lion fresh without a single problem. It's been relatively solid, only a few hiccups here or there. Nothing that breaks it though.

Bugs I've seen:
- When in iChat, the number next to the chat window denoting how many IMs a person has sent to you is off center.
- When coming back from sleep (on my 2010 MBP) the Wifi takes a while to re-connect. It's not seamless and it is annoying.

I've been running the GM of Lion and it's ok but other than full screen apps I don't really see the benefit to the majority of these changes. I guess I need time for some of this to grow on me.

I've been running the GM of Lion and it's ok but other than full screen apps I don't really see the benefit to the majority of these changes. I guess I need time for some of this to grow on me.

The point of Lion is to add iOS features to OS X while making the OS more usable for those on notebooks. If you use an iMac you probably won't be as thrilled with Lion as, say, a MacBook Pro user.

Personally, I can't wait. An OS that tries to overcome screen size restrictions is very intriguing to me.

The point of Lion is to add iOS features to OS X while making the OS more usable for those on notebooks. If you use an iMac you probably won't be as thrilled with Lion as, say, a MacBook Pro user.

Personally, I can't wait. An OS that tries to overcome screen size restrictions is very intriguing to me.

As someone on the imac I agree. Most of the changes that interest me are the under the hood stuff. Most of the ios stuff I just don't get. I have an ipad and it works there but on a desktop I don't need or care for it. The reason tablets failed in the past is they used a desktop OS and not something tailor made for the device. And the ipad is a success because the OS is made to work for that interface. But I just don't see the need to bring ios features to the desktop.
I'm sure the features are intriguing to laptop users but I can see once the honeymoon is over they will be using it the way they used to with snow leopard. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Lion is the first OS I've every rolled back to the previous OS from. Snow Leopard is a lot better. Make sure you have a recent backup when you install it - you'll probably want to roll back as well.

Lion is the first OS I've every rolled back to the previous OS from. Snow Leopard is a lot better. Make sure you have a recent backup when you install it - you'll probably want to roll back as well.

Your position seems to be minority. I've been reading a lot of Apple forums, and most people seem to be quite happy with it. What are the reasons you're not happy with it?

I'm sure the features are intriguing to laptop users but I can see once the honeymoon is over they will be using it the way they used to with snow leopard. Just my opinion.

I highly doubt this. Most of the reviews are overwhelmingly positive. I for one can't wait for the iOS like background suspension of apps. I'm tired of trying to explain to family members that just because there are no windows open doesn't mean an app has quit.

I've been using the DP since DP2 (on a 17in i5 Macbook Pro) and honestly, outside of full screen mode I use Lion exactly the same as I use Snow Leopard. I never use Launch Pad and I personally think that Mission control is a mess. I guess I'm missing the part where Lion is more like iOS in terms of functionality. To me, most of the additions are just gimmicky.

I guess I'm missing the part where Lion is more like iOS in terms of functionality.

For starters: Launchpad; background suspension of apps; full screen apps; expanded use of multitouch gestures.

I have been running the GM on a test machine that just has Apple apps on it at work. I ran into a few issues with Adobe Acrobat 10 and Photoshop CS3 on my personal laptop. I am going to hold off on upgrading to Lion until a few service patches. 10.6.x runs great on my laptop, no reason to go to Lion at this point.

I've been run the GM for the past week and have to say that I am impressed. The new gestures with the Trackpad take a little getting used to but are more logical than the old ones, especially the scroll. The only real problem I see is that people are going to need at least 4GB of memory to run the beast. I had two Safari fullscreen windows open and iPhoto fullscreen open and was pushing 3.06GB according to Activity Monitor. However I really can't say what it was under snow leopard because I never really gave it much thought (I have 8GB).

I am wondering if the apple servers will be able to handle the traffic for downloads of Lion. They are only doing a Digital Download right?

Ran into an interesting issue sitting down and logging in to find no mouse cursor but I could still drag and scroll. Tried to reboot and the system just hung until I did a hard reset.

Are you guys planning to update at release? I'm thinking about waiting until 10.7.1 before making the switch.

Already on the GM, overall I'm happy; having trouble with Steam though, haven't tried in a few days though, so maybe it's been updated and I don't know about it.

Are you guys planning to update at release? I'm thinking about waiting until 10.7.1 before making the switch.

I don't care for a lot of the ios crap in lion but the fact is apple will force you to update at some point if you want to get the latest updates to various programs so I might as well just get it now and start learning it.

I'm going to wait maybe a week or two just to see what, if any, issues spring up, like when Snow Leopard had the Guest Account bug.

I'm going to wait as long as possible. Not a fan of the new features.

Are you sure you know about all of them? Here are 7 features you may not know about:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

And in addition to that, Lion has 250+ additional features that Snow Leopard does not. http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Launchpad, Mission Control, and Full-Screen Applications are really just a small part of the upgrade.

Are you sure you know about all of them? Here are 7 features you may not know about:
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

And in addition to that, Lion has 250+ additional features that Snow Leopard does not. http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html

Launchpad, Mission Control, and Full-Screen Applications are really just a small part of the upgrade.

While personally I think some of the new features are nice (but not earth-shatteringly amazing), I don't get why people can't simply accept that it won't be an ideal upgrade for necessarily everyone.

While personally I think some of the new features are nice (but not earth-shatteringly amazing), I don't get why people can't simply accept that it won't be an ideal upgrade for necessarily everyone.

Because it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want stuff like Versions, systemwide app resume, ASLR, or universal app sandboxing even if you don't care about usability improvements like full screen support or Mission Control.

Because it's hard to imagine why you wouldn't want stuff like Versions, systemwide app resume, ASLR, or universal app sandboxing even if you don't care about usability improvements like full screen support or Mission Control.

For the most part, I agree. But still, what if your system, while capable of running Lion (so thus not a Core Solo/Duo-based Intel Mac), is fixed at 2GB or one of the slower, older C2Ds? From developer reports, Lion runs really sluggishly in such scenarios, hence why pay a penalty in performance for non-critical new features?

Versions is ok, but nothing that someone already well-accustomed to auto-saving is going to necessarily care about (to me Versions' greatest "benefit" is the lack of generating a separate auto-saved version each time, though this could have drawbacks too).

System-wide app resume is nice, although there's already been some talk about the security ramifications of this.

ASLR - having greater protection for 32-bit apps is nice, though I haven't heard whether it's a full implementation of ASLR yet (just have seen/read any recent updates on it, hopefully it has). Definitely nice though.

I like the greater app coverage for sandboxing, but a few months back I recall hearing about there being quite a few issues with it with regards to application access and file saving. Guessing those were fixed however?

Overall I guess personally it just seems like more of a moderate change versus how different Panther -> Tiger -> Leopard were. Admittedly Apple started down this road somewhat with Snow Leopard, so guess this is what we should expect from now on.

Oh and good bye Front Row. :*(

For the most part, I agree. But still, what if your system, while capable of running Lion (so thus not a Core Solo/Duo-based Intel Mac), is fixed at 2GB or one of the slower, older C2Ds? From developer reports, Lion runs really sluggishly in such scenarios, hence why pay a penalty in performance for non-critical new features?

What if people on message boards listed obscure scenarios that in no way describe the vast majority of experiences? :p

If you're on a Core 2 Duo system capable of supporting Lion, then you're able to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM. So that's a non-issue to begin with. Second, I wouldn't describe fundamental security enhancements like ASLR (yes, it is a full implementation with 64-bit support) as non-critical. Lastly, whether or not your hardware is capable of running Lion and whether or not it's worth using are two entirely different issues.

Back