Lion on Macbook Pro

amrogers3

Gawd
I have Lion installed on a Macbook Pro. I would like to run Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the disk before I do a reinstall. I foresee two problems.

1. The macbook is restored via internet so there is no physical disk for the install
2. Will a wipe of the drive affect the ability restore the OS via "Command + R" since everything on the disk will be wiped or does BIOS control the restore "Command + R" process in MacBooks now?

Last edited:
Not sure, but this might help. I'm sure there is a way to download to an iso and burn a DVD. No different than installing to a new hard drive. I suggest to check for resources that are available on the web.

Code:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4147566?start=0&tstart=0

firmware (there is no BIOS) controls the restore

That said, why do you want to completely wipe the drive?

The Disk Utility that comes with OS X offers a secure wipe (35 pass or something crazy).
Tho it's totally unnecessary.

There is no install disk. The newer Apple laptops no longer come with a disk.

It has customer data on it and I want to remove everything just in case the laptop is stolen or lost.

Disk Utility is an app not something that is on an install disk

Just click command+spacebar and then start to type Disk U... and it should show up for you

If you want to erase data just delete it and then empty the trash. If you keep using the drive afterwards it'll be difficult if not impossible to recover data from an OSX partition.

I have Lion installed on a Macbook Pro. I would like to run Darik's Boot and Nuke to wipe the disk before I do a reinstall. I foresee two problems.

1. The macbook is restored via internet so there is no physical disk for the install
2. Will a wipe of the drive affect the ability restore the OS via "Command + R" since everything on the disk will be wiped or does BIOS control the restore "Command + R" process in MacBooks now?

Restore via the Internet option. When you're booted into the installer, use the disk utility to do a secure erase. You can then proceed with the installation.

Back