Linux's wireless problem

Atlas77

Limp Gawd
Ok, so i finally ditched Windows Xp to try Linux, heard its better than windows( cpu load) and windows xp just wasn't cutting it. Installation was quick and easy, but it seems my wireless isnt working and cannot find out why. help?

Specs:
Dell Inspiron b120
80 gig WD HD
Widescreen 15' upgrade
1.5 gigs of ram
Broadcom Corporation BCM 4306 802.11b/g Wireless

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Anybody?, under the hardware updates, i find the driver but when i try to download it trys for like 10 minutes but eventually never downloads the driver, what can i do?

Not trying to be a smart ass but really before you ditched Windows XP maybe you should have tested you Linux distro first. I don't know what apps you were using but really you need to sit down with a plan on what you need to migrate over and make sure you have what you need.

This is the reason why moving to Linux isn't all that its cracked up to be. It might work flawlessly for some and it might be nothing but trouble for others.

If you want to use Linux that's fine all I am saying is test, test, test before you ditch.

Sounds like you may need to use ndiswrapper. For NICs that don't have linux support, ndiswrapper will let you use Windows drivers under linux.

Sounds like you got in over your head. I hope you didn't abolish your XP partition (......how else would you be posting?).

You could always pick up a cheapo wireless card from fry's/newegg.

You never told us what distro you installed. If it's Ubuntu, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and enable the Broadcom driver.

See THIS is why I fucking hate Broadcom! there is only ~5 Wifi chipmakers and because Broadcom got done for copying Intel hardware they went and dropped everything into software...

Short answer YES you can get your broadcom working BUT you will need a wired connection 1st. You need to install the broadcom firmware cutter

bcm43xx-fwcutter is the package (you can either use the command-line or GUI to find and install this package). THIS will d/l the broadcom drivers and extract the firmware to allow yr broadcom wireless chipset to work in linux

its a pain but well when a company acts like dicks... On a plus side some linux hackers have really got pissed off at this and are making their own FOSS firmware, its not in any real usable state atm but they can talk to a wireless AP, so things like this should be a thing of the past soon

Back