Linux!?

phldbr

Limp Gawd
Is linux VERY diff. from win xp pro.? I was looking at it and I'm feeling like I want to give it a try. I have heard a lot of ppl say that it's better than windows.
Also, would I be able to run xp pro & linux on the same machine?
Thanks

yes you can dual boot as its called. i havent done it in a long time, but im sure it has gotten easier. you should be able to find a plethora of dual boot guides by searching google; heres a couple to get you started.

http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Linux+NT-Loader.shtml
http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Multiboot-with-GRUB.shtml
http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/Multiboot-with-LILO.shtml

like i said before i havent done this in a long time so i this is as much help as i am able to give. basically make backups of anything important and be willing to screw up a few times before you get it right.

phldbr said:
Is linux VERY diff. from win xp pro.?

In my opinion, Linux is a completely different beast than Win XP.
At the minimum, it is worth tinkering with until you are able to understand it's directory structure, how to get around, and the whole "feel" of the OS. Because it's a lot more powerful, that means it is also a lot more complex, but you've got everyone on these forums to help you!

Wedgie_Lord said:
At the minimum, it is worth tinkering with until you are able to understand it's directory structure, how to get around, and the whole "feel" of the OS. Because it's a lot more powerful, that means it is also a lot more complex, but you've got everyone on these forums to help you!

Hey... thanks a lot. Yeah I was looking at some FAQS and I will wait till I learn how at least to do something, then I will install it
thanks for the support

Go download a Linux live CD and get a torrent client, thats what I use to DL my LINUX files and don't worry its legal downloading linux through a torrent. I think its faster that way.

Try Mandrake Live CD(not tried), Suse 9.2 Live(aim features), Knoppix (easiest)

AMDXPCottonFire22 said:
Go download a Linux live CD and get a torrent client, thats what I use to DL my LINUX files and don't worry its legal downloading linux through a torrent. I think its faster that way.

Try Mandrake Live CD(not tried), Suse 9.2 Live(aim features), Knoppix (easiest)

thanks a lot... i'll try that and see how it goes.

Wedgie_Lord said:

Different, yes. More powerful? No. If you said more flexible, more open, more customizable, then I'd agree with those :)

Whatsisname said:
I wouldnt give it a yes or a no. Each is better suited for different things.

Agreed. I also didn't say Windows was more powerful. As you point out it is not that cut and dried.

It's not that it's hard to say one is more 'powerful' than the other it's that there's no clear definition of what a 'powerful' OS is.

However, the base install of most distros is a lot more 'useful' than a clean install of XP...

ameoba said:
It's not that it's hard to say one is more 'powerful' than the other it's that there's no clear definition of what a 'powerful' OS is.

However, the base install of most distros is a lot more 'useful' than a clean install of XP...

Now, that is another matter entirely ;)

Back