Linux + WinXP

Antimatter3009

Limp Gawd
So, I've been using Linux as my primary OS for many months and (now that I'm past the learning curve for the most part) could not even think of myself moving back to Windows. However, after not really having any time for awhile, I decided I'd like to play a game in Windows. So, I tried to boot my Windows partition which has been installed the whole time, but never once booted. Unfortunately for me, since it was never booted, it was never activated, and it's long since passed the 30 days or so that they give you to activate it. Additionally it doesn't have any drivers for my machine so I can't get online to activate it without installing them, but I can't install them without logging in. So my question is, does anyone know anything I can do that doesn't involve calling Microsoft? Can I activate it somehow, or trick it into letting me log in? I could reinstall it, but I'm afraid it will trash my Linux install (mainly the mbr) which would be catastrophic. Any suggestions?

You should proabably just bite the bullet and call them. They won't bite. It won't matter that you are dual-booting, and shouldn't even come up in the conversation.

Unfortunately, I'm currently in France (and don't speak French) so it's difficult or impossible for me to call them.

do a 2nd option repair on windows, once thats done it will ask you to activate again, should just go out online and activate

to get to the 2nd repair, boot from xp cd, and go threw the hole F8 i agree and it will search for previous versions of windows, once it does it will say hit R to repair. Do that.

i havent been in my windows partition in awhile either.. but when that activation thing gets started doesnt it put a file in your windows system folder if thats the case you can download this recently released FULL [READ/WRITE NTFS] support and try removnig that file within linux i did it once but dont exactly know what file it is.. Oh yea im running ArchLinux and WindowsXP btw..

[direct download]

Back