linux & windows combined

kwmarc

Limp Gawd
I am downloading redhat 8.0 to experiment with certain web tools, but i want to also install win2k. Will there be a problem installing linux and windows together? What is the correct process of installing the two? Which comes first and do i have to edit the bootloader for linux, and if so how? Hopefully a simple question!

There is no problem with installing the two. Even if you mess up, it's extremely easy to reset your windows master boot record so that you can boot back to windows if anything goes wrong with the install.

Many distributions, I assume redhat does also, detect other OSs (namely Windows) when the install reaches the boot loader setup, or have a way to make it easy to add to the boot loader. I'd just recommend you read up on installing RedHat, or just run the install, and if you have any problems, just fix the mbr with the WindowsXP cd. If you do get redhat installed but you don't add an option to add Windows to the boot list, there's no need to worry either. You can just add it later by editing the boot loader's configuration files. Either LILO or Grub, they're both very easy to deal with, and relatively intuitive to set up. Hopefully someone here will provide with links or more detailed info, but really, if you want to learn Linux, you have to start reading up on all this stuff, and starting now wouldn't be a bad thing.~

EDIT: Oh, and it's easier if you have Windows installed first, by the way. If you install Windows after Linux, it will take over the MBR, and it will be a bit more troublesome to get Linux back up again. And the config file for lilo should be at /etc/lilo.conf, which you can edit using your favorite editor (nano, vi, emacs, etc). The Grub one should be at /boot/grub/grub.conf, which you can edit with whatever editor as well.

anything else important to know? Will LiLo or GRUB pop-up to choose the OS to load instead of the standard windows loader?

In my experiences one does tend to get a menu if you've chosen to get a graphical options... or a little prompt if you've chosen not.

You get a timer and a default after the timer expires so you don't need to interact during every reset unless you want to boot to something other than your default OS :)

Back