Linux Will Eventually Be Desktop King

Honestly each OS has their strengths and weaknesses. I like and use Linux because it's more stable and versatile than windows and certainly more open than OS X. But I don't game much, and certainly not modern AAA titles. I also don't do professional level AV production. Because of those things I have no reliance on specialty software locked to a single OS and can use what I want.

Haha not even remotely close. Linux is a mass of non supported hardware. Always has been always will until the day they give and make a mass friendly version then they'll be called sellouts.

Ummm. since Linux is in fact software and not hardware, I am thinking SpaceX could have saved a lot of money testing rockets in space ............... by shooting them into your ears instead.

This is something I've noticed as well. From Windows 8 onward Microsoft dropped support for a lot of hardware. At first I thought it was only going to impact media center devices like remotes and tuners, but across the board Linux seems to have better support for older hardware now.

As for Linux gaining ground... Eh. Steam on Linux has dramatically improved the situation, but desktop Linux has the same problem it's had for a while. You can do 90% of what you can do in Windows easily, but that other 10% is going to require a Ph.D. in computer science to figure out. That and all Linux GUIs look like shit.

I think most people running 8 or 10 have newer hardware. My oldest PC is from 2007 and it works fine as a file server. I wouldn't use an E4300 for modern tasks. Now if you mean things like peripherals, that's really more on the manufacturer than MS.

Not in my business environment or any business environment I have ever seen.

Not only is Microsoft favored for the desktop it's also the only enterprise solution going that I have seen. The US Government and it's Departments are not even imagining a future move away from Microsoft. Don't get me wrong, they are using linux servers for specific needs and they even still use Solaris for some. But those OSes do not power the largest Enterprise Domain in the world and the US Army does have the largest Enterprise Domain by far. It's so big, Microsoft told the Army it couldn't be done and the Army went ahead and did it anyway and it works. Go figure. Now there is a unified DoD Email domain, one Domain to rule them all, @mail.mil

Your talking email servers. The white house, the defense department, The US nuclear sub fleet, the nuclear security admin... are all running Red Hat. The majority of the worlds servers are in fact running linux... or a some flavor of BSD unix. When counting the worlds web servers it really is over 90% of the worlds servers are running a nix os. There is a reason why MS is rushing to support linux lately, and it has nothing to do with desktop usage.

wIMa5r5.jpg
Really? So you have 1 issue with a netbook's wireless driver and this prompts you to say linux is vastly superior.to windows with driver support and compatibility. So last time I tried Linux, ubuntu and mint, I went through 2 ssds and 2 hhds before I got one which was compatible and then wireless didn't work so yea.

Been playing with Linux distros since red hat back in the late 90s and this thread and these posts are identical to what was being said then by Linux fans. Nothings changed, the distros still rely on community support and feedback and as long as this is the case Linux will be nothing more than a small grass roots enthusiasts OS.

Ummm. since Linux is in fact software and not hardware, I am thinking SpaceX could have saved a lot of money testing rockets in space ............... by shooting them into your ears instead.

I know you generally just jump into threads and posts with literally zero idea of what's going on but assume everything is about governmental oversight, so maybe next time read the posts and then try responding.

Really? So you have 1 issue with a netbook's wireless driver and this prompts you to say linux is vastly superior.to windows with driver support and compatibility. So last time I tried Linux, ubuntu and mint, I went through 2 ssds and 2 hhds before I got one which was compatible and then wireless didn't work so yea.

Been playing with Linux distros since red hat back in the late 90s and this thread and these posts are identical to what was being said then by Linux fans. Nothings changed, the distros still rely on community support and feedback and as long as this is the case Linux will be nothing more than a small grass roots enthusiasts OS.

He will waste a lot of your time, not worth the effort.

Linux users are the neckbeards of computer enthusiasts. I'm sure there are some nice, friendly neckbeards, but the stereotypes are strong...

Linux users are the neckbeards of computer enthusiasts. I'm sure there are some nice, friendly neckbeards, but the stereotypes are strong...

It has become a toxic community. I have used linux many times so I get it. I would rather listen to a mac user talk about how great apple is for inventing such new amazing things (even though I feel otherwise) than a linux user tell me how stupid I am for not switching from windows and how there are alternatives to every piece of software I like and am used to. Many would rather laugh at noobish mistakes a new person getting into linux would make than they would want to help guide them. There are groups that are helpful, it just seems overall the group has become very elitist. I do like linux, the level of control and customization is fantastic, I am just not as tinkering as I used to be and would rather go outside and shoot stuff and fish than dick with compilers just to get my sound card to work lol. Woudln't mind going back and playing on an extra pc, maybe when the wife leaves hers alone for too long I can change hers over.

This is something I've noticed as well. From Windows 8 onward Microsoft dropped support for a lot of hardware. At first I thought it was only going to impact media center devices like remotes and tuners, but across the board Linux seems to have better support for older hardware now.

As for Linux gaining ground... Eh. Steam on Linux has dramatically improved the situation, but desktop Linux has the same problem it's had for a while. You can do 90% of what you can do in Windows easily, but that other 10% is going to require a Ph.D. in computer science to figure out. That and all Linux GUIs look like shit.

It is true many long time Linux people tend to be a bit elitist. The same can be said of many long time Windows folks though, I think the larger pool of windows nerds drown them out more.

It has gotten worse with the linux folks the last few years. You can see it in how the majority of the long time linux people rail against Ubuntu for instance. Yes most of us hate the unity UI, still hear way to many people attack new Linux users running ubuntu for the first time.... even as most of us tell completely new people that Ubuntus distro is a good one to start with.

I think another component of the perceived elitist attitudes stems from some of the misinformation. For the last few years at least Linux (at least the 3-4 biggest distros) are pretty simple setups, that don't require hunting drivers and mashing command lines. (I'm not saying never)... just that its honestly a lot rarer then some people say. (and the scare stories always start with... when I installed linux 4, 5 or 6 years ago this happened to me) The truth is if you take any desktop that doesn't have some super rare card that the manufacturer only produced 100 of or something, installing linux on it is as easy as booting from a USB and clicking 8 or 9 times, and those distros almost always ship with everything 90% of people need, and those distors all have package managers that have one click installs and updates for almost everything else. When I setup older family members with computers, I honestly have less issues giving them a linux system, installing everything they need and then locking it down. They never mess anything up, where as if I help them with a windows setup I get calls constantly.

Anyway not disagreeing the linux base is more elitist then ever no doubt. Not sure if it comes down to frustration or what but ya its there. Linux is more user friendly then ever in any event, and cases of having to pull up a terminal and run nano to change some text config file, or install 10 different dependencies ect ect are long over. You can still have that linux don't get me wrong, you can run a pure arch linux and build your own distro ground up style, the average user downloading Ubuntu/Mint/openSuse/Fedora though isn't any more likely to have to deal with that, then they will have to deal with a piece of hardware without a Win 10 driver, or some crazy BSOD issue with a motherboard atapi implementation or something of the like. Both are edge cases at this point.

From a linux guy to the windows folks though... cheer for linux anyway. Linux success has fueled Windows development for years now. I have been dual booting Win 10 cause ya I like Abelton live... and I love the MS KDE desktop. lol ;)

Last edited:
Windows elitists? I've yet to come across one of those without a Microsoft.com email address.

Back