Linux vs. Windows

pastey

n00b
I'm encountering a problem when thinking about the OS I want to install on the computer I am building for gaming. The computer usage is going to be restricted to playing games and watching videos. After purchasing the new BFG Tech nVidia 6800 GT OC I am finding my pockets a little light to be spending nearly another $100 on just a copy of Windows XP Home Edition. My question is this: Should I install Linux on my new computer, or will new games not be made to comply with Linux? My first instinct is that newer games including Farcry, Doom 3, Halo 2, and Half-Life 2 would be made for Linux supported systems. But after a recent conversation with a friend of mine, I was informed that this would not be the case since Microsoft is paying these companies to make them incompatible with Linux. I've never used Linux to know how it works, but another friend of mine has a free copy of it that he will let me use, I just don't know if its what I want on my system if it will not be compatible with upcoming games. Also, my backup plan is to install Windows XP Home Edition from another friend's burned .ifo files. He assures me that the .ifo files are all I will need to install Windows XP, but never having done that I can't feel completely comfortable with that method. Essentially, there are two questions here, the one regarding Linux and its compatibility with games fostered by innovation in the gaming industry, and the latter, whether the .ifo files are all I need along with a cd key to install Windows XP? Thanks for taking your time to read this, and I look forward to hearing some of your ideas.

Well, it sounds like your friend is suggesting pirating Windows, and that's a no-no.

As for gaming in Linux, I have no idea if MS is paying off companies to keep them from running on Linux, but it sounds like a bunch of bull. One of the main reasons why games are usually not compatible with Linux is because they use Direct3D, a Windows only thing.

Doom 3 I assure you will run on Linux - iD wrote a native Linux version.
Farcry will run on Linux, I think through Wine or Winex.
Halo 2 and HL2 I'm not sure about, since they're not out.

The team at Transgaming is constantly working on WineX, their port of the DirectX API over to Linux, and getting new games to work for it. Similarly, the team at Wine (www.winehq.org) are working constantly to get Windows apps to work on Linux through Wine (implementation of Windows APIs for Linux).

So while not *all* games will work, many of the more popular and newer ones probably will or will in the future, and some companies have released games that also have a Linux version (like iD's games, or Epic with Unreal Tourney 2003/2004).

Give Linux a shot if you can't buy Windows. What do you have to lose? It's free (download .isos from www.linuxiso.org).

And good thing you bought an Nvidia card, Linux + ATi is not very good at the moment.

I pretty much agree with what BillLeeLee said. The bottom line is you have nothing to lose, and might end up learning something, by giving linux a try to run your gaming machine. The 'watching videos' is no issue at all. Gaming _could_ be an issue depending upon what games you are wanting to play. Since you have a nvidia card, you have access to the better end of linux video cards, in that nvidia has been doing a decent job with drivers and has just released a new set for the new cards. You could easily setup a linux machine to play many of the new popular games.

I am a little stumped on the "I've never used Linux to know how it works, but another friend of mine has a free copy of it that he will let me use", linux is 'generally' free, besides a few commercial distros, and you should be sure to get the latest copy of the distro you choose. You may want to check out http://www.distrowatch.com/ for information on this, and linux in general.

Good luck, and let us know what you decided!

If you want to game.. don't even think about linux.... linux is good for everything except gaming...

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
If you want to game.. don't even think about linux.... linux is good for everything except gaming...

thats what ive heard, i just didnt know what i should do with the options i have, especially because if i use the windows cd, it means using my friends cd key, or finding a clean one, anyway, i have some friends that go to UF, im up there quite a lot on weekends when i get out of orlando where i go to UCF

RancidWAnnaRIot said:

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this. Granted, I'm not really all that big of a gamer. But, the two games I play frequently play quite well on my Linux box using the Linux ports for them.

Now, with that being said, they may not work as well running under the various forms of emulators out there.

Go check some of the Linux gamers forums, and don't hesitate to post. Some people have claimed that games run better, some have claimed they run worse. I think it's pretty much YMMV.

I play AA and UT2004 under Linux with no issues. Sure I get more fps out of Windows (not Linux' fault but ATI's drivers), but the games are definitely just as playable.

It's not so much that Linux is lacking as a game platform, it's just that you're going to find your selection of games somewhat limited.

Linux can't game, or doesn't game well?

I game all the time on my linux machine. Granted, my linux machine is no powerhouse, but I game quite a bit with it. And I game quite well, easily and with little effort on my part. Most games, it’s a double-click to start, just like under Windows.

Games I play that I don't need WineX (now called Cedega) or any other type of Windows Emulator:
Neverwinter Nights - has a native client, runs as well as Windows, officially supported by Bioware
Unreal Tournament 2004 - Installer on the CD's doesn't work, but Epic officially supports the Linux installs
Quake 3 - I OWN the Linux Only version of the game

For games I play that are "Windows Only" installations, I use WineX - they have changed the name of the project/program in its last update to Cedega. It is amazing really what they've done. You can subscribe to them and download the software to give them the support they need/deserve OR just download the software for free without subscribing. The "free" versions don't have some stuff like CD-Copy Protection schemes, so you need to run a crack for the game even though you own the original anyway.

Check out this list of games that work well with Cedega. You tell me you can't game on Linux. You need to be educated.
http://www.transgaming.com/dogamesearch.php?order=working&showall=1

Games I play that are "Windows Only" using Cedega:
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Half-Life - which I get faster framerates under linux than I do with Windows, go figure!
Diablo 2

Don't dismiss linux as a non-gaming OS. I do LOTS of gaming on that machine.

Those are the main ones I play at the moment on that box. The machine is a P4-2.4 with a GF2-mx400 64meg in it.

As mentioned before you have the best brand of card for playing on Linux, NVIDIA has done good things with their cards and drivers under linux (even if they aren't "open" yet :) ).

Also, id has said that they are going to release a native Linux client and binaries to play Doom 3, which is awesome (even though my rig couldn't play it well anyway as wimpy as it is). Since the Source engine is being written from scratch by Valve, I'd go on a limb and say Gabe has got Linux in mind as well, since I think he's an OpenGL guy too, right?

Enough rambling here. Game with Linux, you'll like it and stop flaming against the ability to do so.

Mark

More likely an issue with the video drivers.
(Sounds familiar :D )

ameoba said:
It's not so much that Linux is lacking as a game platform, it's just that you're going to find your selection of games somewhat limited.

We should keep petitioning game comapnies to either port their software to Linux, or allow the many willing individuals like Gordon (can't remember his last name), from Icculus.org, to sign an NDA and port it for them.

It is a myth that Linux people refuse to pay for software. I pay hundreds of dollars for games a year, and I'd much rather play them under Linux. (Even if I do have to fight with OSS/Alsa)

I too would much rather play my games on Linux than Windows - I have just one reason to run windows (games) :(

Everything else on the Windows machine is disabled. I just find Linux to be far superior as an OS than Windows.

I will install Doom3 and I am not sure about Battlefield 1942 but at the moment my online obsession with Counter Strike is Windows only since steam and WineX don't get along :mad:

I completely agree with Josh_B ;)

Back