Yay Another RAID Thread (YART)
Hi,
I am bringing a bunch (~400GiB) of data (spell pr0n) from my current location to my parents place during winter break. I am planning to have some form of "high availability" solution there., spell RAID-5. I already have three WD5000YS here and they will be filled with data to maximize the possibility of getting it across oceans without problems. Since I am rather busy at the moment, I just cloned (dd) the drives and they are in NTFS format.
Since recovering the data is 'hard' (I doubt Comcast will like me much for transferring ~400GB acros my cable connection) I would like to do some form of "in-place create" of my RAID-array. To be more precise, I expect to create a two-disk RAID 0 or 1 array copy my data from drive 3 (after verifying the consistency) and then use raid-level migration to convert this into a three-disk raid-5 array.
The question I have is whether I should trust the Intel RAID implementation over a Linux software raid solution for migrating my array? If I were to use LSR, I would have to run Linux on VMWare server, since I 'need' a Win2K3 DC at my parents.
Hi,
I am bringing a bunch (~400GiB) of data (spell pr0n) from my current location to my parents place during winter break. I am planning to have some form of "high availability" solution there., spell RAID-5. I already have three WD5000YS here and they will be filled with data to maximize the possibility of getting it across oceans without problems. Since I am rather busy at the moment, I just cloned (dd) the drives and they are in NTFS format.
Since recovering the data is 'hard' (I doubt Comcast will like me much for transferring ~400GB acros my cable connection) I would like to do some form of "in-place create" of my RAID-array. To be more precise, I expect to create a two-disk RAID 0 or 1 array copy my data from drive 3 (after verifying the consistency) and then use raid-level migration to convert this into a three-disk raid-5 array.
The question I have is whether I should trust the Intel RAID implementation over a Linux software raid solution for migrating my array? If I were to use LSR, I would have to run Linux on VMWare server, since I 'need' a Win2K3 DC at my parents.