• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Linux VM on Win host vs just Win host folding?

Thuleman

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
5,833
So I got my feet wet folding on a Linux VM running on a Win7 host running smp 8 within Linux. I got VMware Workstation installed either way for other purposes so it wasn't an issue to set up the Linux VM for folding, but I do have to wonder whether there is actually any advantage of using a VM as opposed to just running it on the host.

The main thing is that I would like to be able to easily switch for 8 to 7 or 6 cores when I need one or two cores for actual work. I am also a lot more comfortable with scripting on Windows than Linux. For example, I'd like to come up with a schedule where the client drops one core during regular business hours and goes back to 8 cores outside of business hours.

Somewhat related, I have just been running smp 8 thus far, not quite clear whether I am supposed to use advmethods? This is running on an i7 2.8 Ghz. My stats: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=603478
 
there is quite an advantage even just in a VM. but personally i'd take convenience over a couple thousand PPD though. if you were running bigadv the advantage would be much bigger but since you are running standard SMP i'd just say run it in windows if that is your primary OS.
 
Last I heard, VMWare Workstation did not support a VM with more than 4 processors. That may be old news now, but it wasn't that long ago if memory serves. That might make the decision easier.

I personally would use a VM if possible, but sirmonkey has a good point about the convenience factor. It isn't going to matter that much either way.

As far as easily switching the number of cores used, I have not seen anyone do that yet. It should be relatively easy to script. The only concern i would have is losing checkpoints if you happen to stop while writing them. Again, with SMP, it is not as big of an issue.
 
Thanks for the replies. I am using VMware Workstation 8 and I am able to assign 8 processors and have fah use them all as seen by the Windows task manager. I am a sucker for PPD so I'll keep the Linux VM running. Will just wrestle my way through the scripts, can't be that hard I suppose.

Will be adding another box to this by the end of the month to match the 26k average PPD the team has. I got a little PPD envy when I read about those systems that turn out 330k but I can't see myself getting that hardcore if for no other reason than that it is just too much cash to fork out for the hardware.
 
Just d/l linuxforges vmware image.. all ready done and unless youre doing bigbetas its boot and forget
 
Last I heard, VMWare Workstation did not support a VM with more than 4 processors. That may be old news now, but it wasn't that long ago if memory serves. That might make the decision easier.

I personally would use a VM if possible, but sirmonkey has a good point about the convenience factor. It isn't going to matter that much either way.

As far as easily switching the number of cores used, I have not seen anyone do that yet. It should be relatively easy to script. The only concern i would have is losing checkpoints if you happen to stop while writing them. Again, with SMP, it is not as big of an issue.

easiest way to control thread usage is just forcing it in task manager. and will automatically reset after the WU finishes with the windows client in case you happen to forget to put it back. with the vm client you just change it for the VM client in the task manager. use to do it with the old VMware clients back in the day but i have no clue if it still works with the newer vmware workstation.
 
Back
Top