linux today

zerogt86

Gawd
hey, im gonna b setting up gentoo later today, i just have one question: im gonna b installing on a sata drive, is there anything special i need 2 set up?

uh, make sure you compile into the kernel AMD and Nvidia IDE support, and Silicon Image Chipset support. do note that with the controller on your board, the driver in the stable vanilla kernel SUCKS for it (it's stable - yes - but damn slow). I HIGHLY recommend using any of the mm-sources in gentoo's portage (2.6 based). i speak from experience ;). (however, i didn't try the heavily patched ac-sources or gentoo-sources. they're 2.4 based, which i didn't want at all. poor hardware support imo)

if you need help setting up any of the hardware, don't be afraid to ask - i've got just about everything working (only problem - i haven't gotten around to setting up software mixing for soundstorm, so i can only use audio from one source at a time)
LAN works
SATA RAID works (it's linux software raid)
AGP works
Surround Sound works
Firewire and USB work (i can't test firewire, but people tell me it's supported. the driver loads cleanly anyway heh)

Hey, MTB2, in that other thread (the "gripes" one), I asked a question about Gentoo support community handling only Gentoo or not as a distro. Have you checked the thread (now locked)? I was just curious if they gave advice on other distros or not.

Just follow the installation guide and when you get to the kernel section, make sure you enable everything that has to do with your computer as far as drivers go. Ex. IDE, video, audio, net, etc.

well, initially i was trying to set up using grp and kernel 2.4.20 (this setup was only goin to b used for about a week) but lilo is shitting on my at the moment and wont let me in, so ill try again tom... is it possible that because default drivers dont like to play w/ nforce 2 stuff ,and cause i doubt the grp adds sata support that lilo isnt being very nice?

i think the error lilo is giving me relates to there my root partition being reiserfs. is it possible that there is no support for reiserfs in the stage 3 grp kernel. i think i might build my own kernel to try and fix this, what would i have to do to accomplish this. also, if i complie the kernel myslef, can i still use the precomplied x, kde, fluxbox etc ?

Back