Linux that boots up with no log in. Opens VmWare.

MrFace

2[H]4U
Im' looking for a linux distro that does not require a log in. I also need the distro to automatically launch VmWare when it loads up.

Sorry, I am very ignorant with Linux :D

all the main Graphical login managers have an auto-login setting (GDM, KDM,...) so its just a case of configuring them to do that (just like you have to configure XP to do that)

as to command-line autologin... no idea since I would never dream of that never bothered looking but sure it is possible

but I think you want the GFX way?

so pick a distro *cough* Gentoo or Ubuntu *cough* and have fun

Um...Why don't you just install which ever OS your running in VMWare?

you can set up gdm or kdm to auto boot, and as for vmware thats simple just add it to your sessions (gnome) or startup folder in kde once you create the virtual os.

acascianelli said:
Um...Why don't you just install which ever OS your running in VMWare?

Because VMWare player requires an OS to sit on, silly :p

Thanks for the help. I will try the Ubuntu route as I have installation discs on hand already.

MrFace said:
Because VMWare player requires an OS to sit on, silly :p

Thanks for the help. I will try the Ubuntu route as I have installation discs on hand already.
You missed his point. If all you are doing is running an OS inside vmware, why not just run that OS directly?

jpmkm said:
You missed his point. If all you are doing is running an OS inside vmware, why not just run that OS directly?
Keep a clean image handy, and a virus that chews up the install, just a reboot and your clean again :D

Hey, it's an alternative to Deep Freeze, and updating the OS can be done once (using VMWare Workstation) and pushed out to the machines.

Think about publicly accessible computers, say at the public library.

Virtually all GNU/Linux operating systems allow that, it is a small system level configuration detail.

Stormscape said:
That's still completely pointless.

I don't understand why you can't comprehend the benefits of running a VM. I will explain the reasoning:

I work in a company. I have to reload computers. This needs to be done as fast as humanly possible to keep people from not having a computer. Using virtual machines, I can keep a copy of their operating system on hand. I can also create many VM templates for the many different operating system setups we have within my company.

Basically, using a VM will allow me to restore an operating system or reload a computer in a fraction of the time it would take without a VM.

Microsoft has a tool that is designed for public terminals and the such that does what you want. On reboot, its reset back to its original state. I forgot the name of the program. That would just seem easier to me and much more efficient. Plus you'll get full hardware support without a virtual hardware layer.

MrFace said:
I don't understand why you can't comprehend the benefits of running a VM. I will explain the reasoning:

I work in a company. I have to reload computers. This needs to be done as fast as humanly possible to keep people from not having a computer. Using virtual machines, I can keep a copy of their operating system on hand. I can also create many VM templates for the many different operating system setups we have within my company.

Basically, using a VM will allow me to restore an operating system or reload a computer in a fraction of the time it would take without a VM.

What do you mean you have to "reload computers"? Be more specific.

If you're having to reimage machines so much that this is your proposed solution, I'd say you have bigger issues on your hands.

In fact if you're legit then it almost sounds like your company ought to think about moving to Citrix.

His proposed linux/vmware solution does have some good sides, though. It's positively trivial to set it up to fetch updated images (at boot or as a cron job), and if they later want some machines to allow the user to select from several different images, that's just a small piece of scripting away.

Back