Linux Space Disapearing

Mog_m

Weaksauce
My Linux server seems to run out of space on the root partition. It is not due to log files, or any other file I can find. I cant find any file that can account for this loss of spcace. But a re-start cleans it right up (Went from 89% full, to 49%). A diffrence of probubly 1.2gb. (Root drive is only 3.28 GB).

Anyone have any idea where the free space could be going?

Sounds like a classic case of a open filehandler still left open I would recommend that you see if someone is deleting a file in the root partition and not shutting down the application that was using it. Is your root a true root and just containts / and not like /var,/tmp,/opt ?

The mount is
Mount Drive
/ /dev/ida/c0d0p3

It is a webserver, that has Apache, ProFTPD, Postfix, and routing stuff on it.

No other users really use it. I have shell access very restricted.

Could it still be that open file? And if it is how would I find what is causeing it?

Originally posted by Mog_m
The mount is
Mount Drive
/ /dev/ida/c0d0p3

It is a webserver, that has Apache, ProFTPD, Postfix, and routing stuff on it.

No other users really use it. I have shell access very restricted.

Could it still be that open file? And if it is how would I find what is causeing it?

So everything is in /?

IE /usr and /var?

Are you removed large access_logs from apache without bouncing it afterwards?

Ok, trust me. I have looked. I have looked at every possible location. Their is no visible file that is takeing up this space.

I have used du, and df. I have even shared it with samba and used windows to get the properties.

I have 2 partitions. / and /www. so yes, /var, /etc, and all the default os folders are on that logical drive.

/www is where the web files are, so its not that.
I have removed all the log files. They are not causeing it.

If it was as simple as a file, I would be able to do it myself. Im not a retard.

I am asking here because the space just seems to vanish into nothingness.

If anyone has any idea of things I can check, places to look, keywords to search for on google, it would be appriciated.

You could do the command "lsof" and see what programs and pids have open files. Its alot of work to see what a open filehandler is and whats using it. You run lsof and have to go through it line by line to see if its a log file or just a library used by a application. Your really looking for log files, if you see one open and try to do a "ls" on that file and it doesn't exist anymore its your culprit.

Thanks. Ill be sure to do that as the hd space gets used up more.

Back