linux - sound issues

meinzorn

[H]ard|Gawd
Major sound issues with linux.

1) I use an nForce 2 board (EPoX 8RDA+). I downloaded/installed the latest drivers from the website and when I modprobe nvaudio, It just move on like everything went ok, but then I have no sound. when I try to use xmms, it tells me that my sound card is either being used or not configured correctly.

2) For some reason, my system beep insists on beeping through my speakers as well as the system speaker. The beep is insanely loud so whenever it does it it pretty much tears through my body. most of the time I just turn my speakers off because of this if i'm working with the console.

anyone think they can give me a hand? maybe let me know how to get this working?

first off. nvaudio is possibly the worst way to get sound out of soundstorm, except maybe oss.
here's what i've done, and recommend you do the same: get the 2.6.X-mmX kernel. stable 2.6 will work as well, but i personally find a lot of improvements in the mm series.
next: go into the kernel config and make sound support along with alsa and all of alsa modules. load all those wonderful alsa modules. life should be good. if you use kde, sound will be choppy as it uses ARTS as a software mixer

you know, damnit I hate computers sometimes..

I was tinkering earlier and I was going to recompile my kernel. I get to the point of 'make menuconfig' and I get some error about it not finding awk. Now after tinkering some more I find "alsaconfig" try to run that. I get another error with awk.

1) wtf is awk?
2) where can I get awk?
3) I'm not sure that there is a 3. But it seems required for some reason.

as for info. running Slackware, with kernel 2.4.

If I were to convert to 2.6, would I still have 3d support for my nvidia graphics card? I remember my friend saying something about him not having it for his ATI card.. thats something that is kinda important to me. (will be playing quake and some other games in linux)

*sigh* someday it'll work :)

ok, now I definatly just made myself feel smart. I remembered seeing "gawk" somewhere before, so I went searching through the packages on the slackware CD, found this gawk something package installed it and BOOM! then I did the alsaconf. BOOOOM. THEN! I OPENED UP XMMS!! SOUNNNDDDDDDD :-D anywho, i'm excited.. and feel halfway intelligent for figuring that out. Thank you much for the help and such, much appreciated :) catch ya all later while I go play with my sound :)

peace.

Back