• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Linux: slow HDD performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
12,361
HI,

I just recently installed Debian (testing) on my secondary PC. It runs on a PATA drive (maxtor 160GB) and I have not connected one of my recently purchased Seagate 7200.10's (500GB) to the nVidia SATA controller. I partitioned it into a large partition with GParted and made the filesystem EXT3.

It is mounted to /large and I ran bonnie++ right away.

Code:
Version  1.03       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
debian           2G 16541  38 16662   5  6431   1 12710  26  9805   0 187.7   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
debian,2G,16541,38,16662,5,6431,1,12710,26,9805,0,187.7,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++

If i interpret these reults correct, I am using 37% CPU to get a "whopping" 16Mb/s from my HDD. If that is the case, there must be something wrong (I suspect drivers). Any idea how to start troubleshooting this?

Would it matter that bonnie++ was run through a NX-session?
 
Have you confirmed DMA is enabled?

Code:
[root@localhost Desktop]# hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep DMA
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 
[root@localhost Desktop]#
 
I had to apt-get hdparm and it says this:

Code:
debian:/home/gwk# hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep DMA
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
           *    WRITE_{DMA|MULTIPLE}_FUA_EXT

I also ran it for my SATA drive:
Code:
debian:/home/gwk# hdparm -I /dev/sdb | grep DMA
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
The noob in me guesses that the asterix indicates the current mode, which would imply that both the SATA and the PATA drives are using DMA.
 
for comparison purposes, bonnie++ on the PATA maxtor (160GB)
Code:
Version  1.03       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
debian           2G 31285  74 46588  16 18877   4 18298  39 28516   2 135.5   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ 31572  82 +++++ +++ +++++ +++
debian,2G,31285,74,46588,16,18877,4,18298,39,28516,2,135.5,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,31572,82,+++++,+++,+++++,+++

edit:
Code:
debian:/home/gwk# hdparm -t /dev/sdb

/dev/sdb:
 Timing buffered disk reads:   42 MB in  3.05 seconds =  13.76 MB/sec
debian:/home/gwk# hdparm -t /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  160 MB in  3.03 seconds =  52.88 MB/sec

So I decided to time my Dell Raptor(160GB) as well, which is on the same SATA controller, different port:
Code:
debian:/home/gwk# hdparm -t /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  252 MB in  3.01 seconds =  83.73 MB/sec
 
I have found the problem and I feel like an idiot for not checking this earlier. My Seagate drives were plugged into the Promise SX4-M instead of the on-board SATA controller. Apparently the Promise driver is not very good or does not like to deal with non-raid-ed drives.

I have them hooked into the nForce SATA controller now and they are working as expected.

Code:
Version  1.03       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
                    -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP  /sec %CP
debian           2G 41872  91 73991  19 29840   7 41370  87 74460   6 183.6   0
                    ------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
                    -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
              files  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP
                 16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
debian,2G,41872,91,73991,19,29840,7,41370,87,74460,6,183.6,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top