Linux on Mini ITX?

StarTrek4U

Gawd
I've been looking at possibly putting together a Mini-ITX based server to host some media at my place as well as some other misc tasks, one of the questions I had though was is it possible to run one of the popular distros of linux on these systems with a relatively small amount of screwing around? I'm not that familiar with linux so if there is alot of work that needs to be done I might consider another route. I have been looking at either Fedora or Suse but I can't seem to find any info specifically about these distros on these systems. Any information would be helpful.

Should run fine, it's just a regular system... only difference is it's got a VIA CPU and North/Southbridges.

It should work no problem.

http://www.epios.net/

A Gentoo based distribution (meaning its compiled SPECIFICALLY for the EPIA boards). Linux is also the only place you'll get MPEG4 acceleration for the CN400 (?) chipset. FYI, there are a few other EPIA based distributions on the web, just do a google.

I've heard of people using certain Mini-ITX systems as MythTV boxes.

I've thought about giving up one of my 17" LCDs to make a Mini-ITX MythTV box for my home office.

It's quite possible to get linux base running, just configure it for a generic x86 processor with sse2/3 instructions :)

The only tough thing you might run into is driver support, though that is distribution dependent.

I run GeeXboX on my HTPC. It's a rather minimalistic linux distribution that basically is just MPlayer with a few more features. It can be installed or run off a cd, so try it out!

Blue Fox said:
I run GeeXboX on my HTPC. It's a rather minimalistic linux distribution that basically is just MPlayer with a few more features. It can be installed or run off a cd, so try it out!

Very interesting, is there any hardware acceleration? How does it run speed-wise in comparison to a full-fledged distrobution?

ScHpAnKy said:
Very interesting, is there any hardware acceleration? How does it run speed-wise in comparison to a full-fledged distrobution?
I'm unsure about hardware acceleration, but it is rather fast and efficient. My HTPC is a P3 450mhz with 192mb of ram and a radeon 7500. The most demanding thing I've played on it is 1.5mbit video and some dvds...it runs both of them without any problems (from an optical disc).

Whoa definetly trying that out right now. Got an P3 733 with 128mb ram dying to have something on it.

Cheers Blue Fox :)

Blue Fox said:

You are perfect. You are exactly the kind of person I wanted to know. You have already done enough for me. Check out my project in the worklog section, because you now just gave me an operating system. Thanks.

You're welcome! :)
If you need an NTSC version compiled (last time I checked, the downloadable ISO was PAL, but that might not matter depending on your monitor type), I can upload it for everyone to use.

The machine I use as a router for my home network is a miniITX running linux. I had no problems with drivers or anything.

Blue Fox said:

Just tried this out today, this is exactly what i was looking for!!!
this distro is awesome only six megs!!. Great suggestion Blue Fox.

ps.

Could you please post the NTSC version?

Thank you!

The lower end models sold are good for linux-based utility OS'es like firewalls and such. Its powerful enough and its pretty cheap. Not to mention silent.

Back