Linux Nvidia driver kills Window manager

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De
Trying to get boinc up and running on a few cards and it is not working...

Thursday I tried getting the nvidia driver installed on an Ubuntu 13.10 install.
service lightdm stop
./Nvidia driver (Latest from website 331.67)

When it runs it blacklist the nouveau driver to keep that from interfering.
Everything looks fine...
Reboot...
Go to log in and there is just the background. No menus.

Friday... I do a fresh install of Ubuntu 14.04.
I try using apt-get and getting nvidia-current and nvidia-settings

Same thing happens.
I purge install headers... same thing...

I just need <5min of window manager to get the boinc configured before it becomes headless. Suggestions?

pron for your time.
ME10diBl.jpg

It does not appear like the driver is attaching to the cards...

*@SL270s-Gen8-R:~$ lspci | grep Tesla
09:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110GL [Tesla M2090] (rev a1)
0a:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF100GL [Tesla T20 Processor] (rev a3)
0d:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110GL [Tesla M2090] (rev a1)
0e:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF110GL [Tesla M2090] (rev a1)
2a:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [Tesla K10] (rev a1)
2b:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [Tesla K10] (rev a1)
36:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [Tesla K10] (rev a1)
37:00.0 3D controller: NVIDIA Corporation GK104GL [Tesla K10] (rev a1)

*@SL270s-Gen8-R:~$ lsmod | grep nvidia
nvidia 10675249 0
drm 302817 1 nvidia

Last edited:
If you just need to configure BOINC, then you don't need gui. I use boinc on my headless server and use a BOINC Manager on my desktop to control it. I just compiled BOINC from source on the server, set up the password in gui_rpc_auth.cfg, run the boinc on the server with --allow_remote_gui_rpc and --gui_rpc_port XXXXX and off you go controlling it from any computer that runs BOINC manager.

All of this is doable in the terminal.

Is the driver required to compute on the GPUs? I suppose it is....

Last edited:
If you just need to configure BOINC, then you don't need gui. I use boinc on my headless server and use a BOINC Manager on my desktop to control it. I just compiled BOINC from source on the server, set up the password in gui_rpc_auth.cfg, run the boinc on the server with --allow_remote_gui_rpc and --gui_rpc_port XXXXX and off you go controlling it from any computer that runs BOINC manager.

I will give that a try... I guess the other problem is that while the nvidia driver is loaded... lsmod shows that... it also shows that no devices are using the driver...

Might I bother you for more details on the whole -gui_rpc thing.
How do you tell the other computer with boinc manager to connect?

You shouldn't mock me... I figured it out and now I will steam-roll you. :D
Mwhahahahahaha

I certainly hope you do. If my taunting gets more people to steam roll me, then I have done my job. :D

I certainly hope you do. If my taunting gets more people to steam roll me, then I have done my job. :D

Unfortunately ... I didn't see the notice of your reply till I was coming back to announce success... So this win isn't yours. :p

OK... Besides GPU grid.... What should I point these Teslas at to maximize team points. I have 3 m2090s, 2x m2070s, 2x m2050s, 2x K10s, 1 Quadro 2000 and 1 750ti.
Mostly fermi... K10 is Kepler, 750ti is maxwell.

Last edited:
Well...are you looking to push our DC-Vault position specifically, Formula-BOINC (which I just got our team name issue fixed), or just BOINC in general?

If pushing DC-Vault I would suggest the obvious GPUGrid, but would consider PrimeGrid because the GFN world record work units pay out pretty damn good and are double precision. Milkyway is only Dual Precision, so if Prime number crunching isn't your thing, Milkway would probably be the bigger need. Einstein now has a dual precision app in testing, but couldn't tell you much about it. The reason I point out the double precision apps is because that is what those cards are really designed for.

For over all points, DistrRTgen is probably the highest paying project. But that project is not in the DC Vault yet. It is however in Formula-BOINC.

If pushing DC-Vault I would suggest the obvious GPUGrid, but would consider PrimeGrid because the GFN world record work units pay out pretty damn good and are double precision. Milkyway is only Dual Precision, so if Prime number crunching isn't your thing, Milkway would probably be the bigger need. Einstein now has a dual precision app in testing, but couldn't tell you much about it. The reason I point out the double precision apps is because that is what those cards are really designed for.

For over all points, DistrRTgen is probably the highest paying project. But that project is not in the DC Vault yet. It is however in Formula-BOINC.

I might need to split the Teslas between machines... The K10s are not good at DP in fact the older Fermi cards have better DP.

Good to know. I haven't kept up with them, but I'm sure the Fermi's were the one's that made nVidia reconsider the DP capabilities of future non-Tesla cards. Many people realized it was much cheaper to buy the Fermi's even if the did burn up than buy the Tesla's. So, the older Tesla's may not be the way to go for that kind of maximization. I'm still interested to see how they perform on single precision though. I also don't recommend putting single precision only cards in with dual precision unless you want to mess with cc_config and app_config files. It is just an added unnecessary headache. One that I'm mostly away from now.

Looks like Scientificlinux is the way to go... Now I just have to figure out how to get boinc to play nice on it. :)
Edit: Almost all working now... 6/8 k10s show up (Left node)... working on that problem... At Least all of the m2090s show up... (Right node)

lEkiOKj.jpg

Last edited:
Back