Linux Network Adapter Teaming Plz Help

Enigma

Gawd
To start off with I am a total linux noob :D so I need some help from you seasoned vets :D I have been trying to setup Network adapter teaming on my fedora core 2 box... but I am lost I need some starter scripts or some very simplistic links to some tutorials to help me accomplish this. I had this working on my xp system using nic express.... http://www.ipmetrics.com I tried downloading their linux based software but I can not get it to go.... it says that it does not support my current kernel. I believe that I am using the 2.6 kernel. I have tried many tut's around the net but I am unable to make it work... :(v any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated :D

Are you trying to accomplish NIC channeling? As in etherchannel?

I've never attempted it on Linux but one thing that I have tried to do is to get dual NICs to work in that environment. I've found that one of Linux's few downfalls is how it handles the networking on that level. While traffic came in on both NICs it always went out on one NIC. works great in a LAN environment but once you add a firewall to it things get messed up.

That might be why no one's really answered your query. This is one of the few points that Winderz may be better off than Linux.

Good luck.

I appreciate the help guys. yea I tried using the Cahnneling method. but I could not get it to wrok at all... I would lose all network connectivity including the internet. I did at one time have both nics able to go out on the internet and split the load between the 2 nics but I could not get it to work with my samb configuration... I have been hunting around on the net for 4-5 days and I still cant get this to work....

Wolf-R1 said:
Are you trying to accomplish NIC channeling? As in etherchannel?

I've never attempted it on Linux but one thing that I have tried to do is to get dual NICs to work in that environment. I've found that one of Linux's few downfalls is how it handles the networking on that level. While traffic came in on both NICs it always went out on one NIC. works great in a LAN environment but once you add a firewall to it things get messed up.

That might be why no one's really answered your query. This is one of the few points that Winderz may be better off than Linux.

Good luck.

first off NO
second, since you say you have never attempted it on a linux box just means that you really should try and find out how it can be done.

anyways
</rant>
I am an avid *bsd user, and i have found that on freebsd, you can use NGCTL to team as many interfaces as you want, I have 2 4port 10/100 intel NIC's in my file server, so that it does not get so raped at lan parties for bandwidth.

unfortunately, a quick google search (less than 5 mins of quick checking) appears to show me that with the generality of linuces, teaming can't be done.

If you search for info from a specific distrobution, idle on irc.freenode.net in #linux or #<yourdistrohere> and post to mailing lists, I am fairly positive that you will find an answer that is more definitive than what I am providing and what is here in this thread

Quick question, is Teaming any way related to interface bonding?

Ok, just thought I would ask. I haven't done this yet, but I have looked into it.

okay I got bonding to work.... sort of.... I got the network cards "bonded" and I can access the computer across the network but.... now I dont have any internet on the server. seeing how this is my network fileserver and my web/ftp server I need to have the internet any suggestions???

check your routing tables, it might be your missing your default route. When you drop and interface, you loose all its routing info, including your default if it was set to use that interface. but when you bring one up, you will only add a route to it for its local subnet.

this may sound totally noobish let me post some info and maybe you can help me cause I am a total noob to linux. Here are the commands that I issued at the terminal to configure bonding:

[root@real-server root]# modprobe bonding
[root@real-server root]# ip addr add 192.168.100.33/24 brd + dev bond0
[root@real-server root]# ip link set dev bond0 up
[root@real-server root]# ifenslave bond0 eth2 eth3

How would I go about routing bond0 to point to my gateway??

route add default gw <gateway> bond0

repalce <gateway> with your gateways address.

also, if you get errors (which I should have the syntax right) check the man page, it has the syntax, and probable examples in there, at least mine did.

I appreciate it man. I gave it a try and it works perfectly! I cant believe it was that simple and I have been working on it for a few days... :) I appreciate it:D

Enigma said:
I appreciate it man. I gave it a try and it works perfectly! I cant believe it was that simple and I have been working on it for a few days... :) I appreciate it:D
No problem. Never actually used it myself, let me know how it turns out.

Back