Linux Mint - Best alternatives for Dreamweaver & Photoshop

rec0d3

Limp Gawd
Title says it all. Looking for a good alternative to these two programs. Anyone know of anything good?

What if I decided to do high end stuff? Lol. Other alternatives?

Linux is good as a web/networking server, but not much else. Yes, it has alternatives, but they're token alternatives. Like Open Office to MS Office. You can use Open Office, but it's just not as good as MS Office.

Linux is a niche OS, for geeks and nerds who like to do sys admin stuff in their spare time. But it's absolutely horrible as a desktop replacement.

If you really insist on Linux, try using Dreamweaver and Photoshop with Wine. If you can get it to work that way, it's your best option.

Linux is good as a web/networking server, but not much else. Yes, it has alternatives, but they're token alternatives. Like Open Office to MS Office. You can use Open Office, but it's just not as good as MS Office.

Linux is a niche OS, for geeks and nerds who like to do sys admin stuff in their spare time. But it's absolutely horrible as a desktop replacement.

If you really insist on Linux, try using Dreamweaver and Photoshop with Wine. If you can get it to work that way, it's your best option.

Not really, I use Linux daily on my main PC and it does fine.

I use Libre Office in the daily running of my business and have yet to encounter an issue. In fact when you can open .docx files under every alternate office suite just fine but MS Office struggles with a file protocol that should conform to a simple ISO standard, you can hardly blame the alternate suits as having the compatibility issue.

As a fairly high end user, I use GIMP and it works perfectly, in fact I'm so used to it now that I actually prefer it. Having said that, if you must have Photoshop like proprietary software applications, than you're best to stick to Windows.

The Linux desktop is actually a very polished and capable platform these days, time hasn't stood still regarding Linux by any stretch of the imagination, I find many of my software applications are actually available cross platform with the exception of malware and viruses. ;)

As always, use what works best considering your personal use scenario, you're the only one that's going to be able to determine what platform that may be.

Not really, I use Linux daily on my main PC and it does fine.

I use Libre Office in the daily running of my business and have yet to encounter an issue. In fact when you can open .docx files under every alternate office suite just fine but MS Office struggles with a file protocol that should conform to a simple ISO standard, you can hardly blame the alternate suits as having the compatibility issue.

As a fairly high end user, I use GIMP and it works perfectly, in fact I'm so used to it now that I actually prefer it. Having said that, if you must have Photoshop like proprietary software applications, than you're best to stick to Windows.

The Linux desktop is actually a very polished and capable platform these days, time hasn't stood still regarding Linux by any stretch of the imagination, I find many of my software applications are actually available cross platform with the exception of malware and viruses. ;)

As always, use what works best considering your personal use scenario, you're the only one that's going to be able to determine what platform that may be.

I get what you meant now that a lot of users here are biased against Linux haha. I think its a great environment and looks good as well.

Well honestly, wth are you doing with dreamweaver? There is nothing you can do in Dreamweaver you cannot do just as well in Sublime or Brackets just as easily. Or even Notepad++ for that matter. I also know for a fact Dreamweaver runs just fine with wine. It's not exactly a high resource program.

As far as gimp/photoshop goes, unless you are doing studio quality or need some hyper specific function that is unique to photoshop, Gimp will do what you need.

Last edited:
I get what you meant now that a lot of users here are biased against Linux haha. I think its a great environment and looks good as well.
I'm not biased against Linux. I just find it very hard to believe anyone can use it as a desktop without sacrificing some functionality. It's great as a server though...

I'm not biased against Linux. I just find it very hard to believe anyone can use it as a desktop without sacrificing some functionality. It's great as a server though...

I use it every day, no issues. Naturally you can't believe it as you obviously have little experience with desktop Linux, not bashing you, that's just human nature. I ditched Windows as my main OS years ago and never looked back. :)

ogW2HXS.png

There are several alternatives like Photoscape, GIMP etc. It depends on what are you looking for. As far as I remember GIMP is compatible with Linux and Windows, whereas Photoscape with Windows and macOS. I will try to get more info about other alternatives. Do you look for some special functions like CMYK editor?

Naturally you can't believe it as you obviously have little experience with desktop Linux
I've been using Slackware since 10.0. I stopped using it as a desktop a long time ago. It's just too much trouble for me. I just want to double click and install. No pouring through documentation. No dependency hell. No editing this or that config file. I understand the appeal, but I just don't have the patience for it anymore. My Slackware server is getting a little long in the tooth, and it is time update that kernel, but 3.10 is working fine. That's what's great about linux. You set it up to serve you files and it does a great job of it for years and years.

I've been using Slackware since 10.0. I stopped using it as a desktop a long time ago. It's just too much trouble for me. I just want to double click and install. No pouring through documentation. No dependency hell. No editing this or that config file. I understand the appeal, but I just don't have the patience for it anymore. My Slackware server is getting a little long in the tooth, and it is time update that kernel, but 3.10 is working fine. That's what's great about linux. You set it up to serve you files and it does a great job of it for years and years.

I either install using .deb installers using the GUI, not unlike Windows or I install using the terminal and apt, all copy/paste and remarkably easy. I've never had a dependency issue, never read any documentation, no more editing config files than under Windows - Honestly, if installing software was still that bad there's no way I'd be using Linux.

I never turn my main Linux PC off, it just runs and the only time I reset it is to apply the occasional kernel update.

I've been 100% Linux since 2001/2002, don't recall the exact date, couldn't be happier. My only headache was a few devices without compatible FW updaters, but I've managed to get most of those working under wine.

Disclaimer, I'm not a gamer, base my buying decisions on compatibility, and am in the top tier of Linux Professionals (self proclaimed).

I've been 100% Linux since 2001/2002, don't recall the exact date, couldn't be happier. My only headache was a few devices without compatible FW updaters, but I've managed to get most of those working under wine.

Disclaimer, I'm not a gamer, base my buying decisions on compatibility, and am in the top tier of Linux Professionals (self proclaimed).

Shouldn't that be bigblock454? ;)

What about BlueGriffon? I think it can be a good alternative to Dreamweaver. Is there any feedback on it? :)

Back