Votes: 17 32.7%
  • MaxOS

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Windows

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other

Votes: 4 7.7%

• Total voters
Kinda like asking whether you want an orage, a piece of pizza, or a chocolate shake. But I use XP. :D

Phoenix86 said:
Kinda like asking whether you want an orage, a piece of pizza, or a chocolate shake. But I use XP. :D

The Mac is the orange...

FreeBSD. I considered "Linux", but went with "Other". :)

# uname -sr
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p7

Windows XP Pro on the Desktop, Windows 2000 Server on the notebook

I use Windows more often than I use Linux, but I use both (work, testing, and learning related). As soon as I can figure out what is wrong with it and get it working, I'll have an iMac (that I got for free) as well, with regular usage.

Where are the combination options?

Phoenix86 said:
Kinda like asking whether you want an orage, a piece of pizza, or a chocolate shake.
Actually, it's more like asking if someone drinks Coke (or cola), Sprite, or Dr Pepper—all basically the same thing (carbonated beverage), but have very different tastes and suit different people.

Yea, where ARE the combination options?

Desktop #1: WinXP
Server #1: OpenBSD
Server #2: FreeBSD
Laptop: OpenBSD
Security Box #1: WinXP
Security Box #2: OpenBSD

Every OS has it's use. The desktop is used for gaming, IM, and surfing the web.

The servers are used for web hosting, remote access, programming, etc.
The laptop is used for taking notes in class, wireless explorations, etc.

The security boxes are set up so that they can only talk to each other - I keep regular backups of the XP machine and infect it with Malware (working on the Honeynet project's Scan32 challenge) and see what happens with the forensic tools on it and also use the OpenBSD machine to snoop any network traffic in/out of the XP machine.

Linux

With out a doubt the best OS I have ever used. I was always in to Windows untill I was saved - kind of like the matrix :p

No, Windows is nice but Linux is great for people like me who love to mess with stuff and like to get their hands dirty.

...what virus? :eek:

Windows primarily. Linux for my fileserver/dev box. Main reason I've stuck to Windows is Photoshop.

Firewall: OpenBSD
Fileserver: Solaris
Workstation: IRIX (Not used very often, actually.)
(Compute server will be IRIX as soon as I install on my
new Origin200...)
Other: OpenBSD

Windows XP Pro all the way.

I was considering Linux... until I read something about compiling stuff? That confuses me and scares me. What, I gotta compile to save a word doc or what?

-J.

Gentoo Linux and Windows XP Pro about 70 - 30.

Depending on what distribution you're using, you will never have to compile a program. Some do, though - Gentoo Linux pretty much has to compile EVERYTHING. Fedora Core and others typically use binaries, which means precompiled programs. Plus, not like you're doing the compiling anyway. You just give a command and the system takes over.

If you're installing something that is not in a package repository somewhere, just have to do (for most source code in release).
Code:
./configure
make
make install

Win and Mac here... i desperatly want to get my hands dirty with some kinda linux... so if anyone wants to point me in the right direction for that... much thanks

*(okay, sorry to steal the thread. back on topic....:))

There was once a HUGE discussion over versions of Linux on this forum. Check it out with the search/advanced button. Really, it depends on everyone's favorites. The advanced goes to Gentoo while the inexperienced Linux people go for some other version.

-J.

GeForceX said:
There was once a HUGE discussion over versions of Linux on this forum. Check it out with the search/advanced button. Really, it depends on everyone's favorites. The advanced goes to Gentoo while the inexperienced Linux people go for some other version.

-J.
sounds good man, i'll give that a search. thanks.

GeForceX said:
I was considering Linux... until I read something about compiling stuff? That confuses me and scares me. What, I gotta compile to save a word doc or what?

-J.

Looks like you read wrong - I save a Word Document faster in Linux than I do in Windows - very simple.

WindowsXP Pro 3 firewalls and 3 virus and some cool encryption programs and tracking my computers location which is neat) scanners(got to be safe) -Games and Movies(Like playing my DVD'S) Burning etc....

Linux Suse 9.1, Knoppix 9.2 I think... and Mandrake 10.0 (Kopote like AIM) Work.. lets see music... web browsing no viruses :D .

Linux is sweet.

Back