Linux laptop

I'm looking to get a laptop to run potentially either Kubuntu or Fedora on that has enough power to support hosting some vms.

My primary requirements are
~15" screen
upgradable to 16gb of ram
nvidia gpu

I've been looking at lenovos, and they have a Z50 that seems to fit my needs pretty closely but I can't seem to find it anywhere other than lenovo.com.

Is there a reason you don't want to order off Lenovo? Not sure if it's different in the US but in Canada the website is free shipping with free returns (no questions asked). Only issue would delivery time.

Off the top of my head the Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is an option. So is the Asus n550jv. The latter also has a quad core CPU. Albeit they are more expensive.

I wasn't interested in ordering because I was hoping to be able to track one down in store and make sure it was something I could live with. I hadn't considered asus but the n550 looks promising. Thanks :)

Look online for a used Lenovo T420, or 410 - whichever uses the second generation mobile core i7.

I wasn't interested in ordering because I was hoping to be able to track one down in store and make sure it was something I could live with. I hadn't considered asus but the n550 looks promising. Thanks :)

You don't need to find the exact same specs in a retail store since the chassis would be pretty much the same outside of the internal specs.

I believe Bestbuy carries the z50 for example just not in the configuration you're looking for in terms of internal specs.

If its free returns you could always try and return if needed.

The two I listed have high quality IPS screens, both should be commonly avaiable in stores like Bestbuy to look at. I have a bias towards displays so those tend to be the laptops I know off hand. However almost all the major brands will likely have at least one model with the specs (or upgradable in terms of ram) to the specs you want.

Back