Linux is greener?

well lets hope they don't use that damn jmicron chip on their mobos. grrr

I have heard jmicron can be a pain in windows as well.

actually it worked with windows fine...prolly because i didnt have RAID going. i just couldn't install ubuntu on it regardless. but now that i upgraded to a diff board it works fine. damn dirty jmicron

Well that article makes the terrible assumption that "lower" hardware requirements equates to better energy efficiency.

Not true. We are in the age of 35W and 65W dual-core processors and 80+% efficient active PFC power supplies.

If by using Linux a company chooses to stick with, for example, their old crop of machines with P4 Prescotts, 250W power supplies and CRT monitors, they are certainly not using energy efficient workstations.

Looking at the bigger picture actually, workstations are probably among the least contributing factors to high energy consumption. I'm pretty sure the 50 ton Trane, the 4 independent Leibert condensers, the freight elevator, and all the fluorescent lighting in my office building consume several times over what our PCs would if we left them all churning at 100% CPU usage 24/7.

Back