hi,
Since i just got done installing Linux on my new box (Suse 10.2 x64) I figured that it'd be nice to run some benches on my WD5000YS to see whether LSR is better than using the "firmware raid" provided by the ICH8r.I have manually made a 2.6.19 kernel and am running that now, since I thought that I needed that in order to use my ICH8r to its fullest potential. I have yet to try and get a firmware raid running. Since I'd rather not wait for a close to TiB sized array to initialize, I have decided to run my LSR tests in a 18GB RAID-5 array. I am mounting the disk(s) to /wd1
System:
C2D e6300 @ 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, Gigabyte DS4.
Here are some bonnie++ numbers. I know that, like HDTach, this says little about real world performance, but at least it'll show how fast (or slow) my drives are:
Single WD5000YS (1) on ICH8r, in AHCI mode
Single WD5000YS (2) on ICH8r, in AHCI mode
Single WD5000YS (3) on ICH8r, in AHCI mode
LSR RAID-5, 3 x WD5000YS on ICH8r, in AHCI mode, 18GB partition
What really baffles me about all these numbers is that it appears that my system can write faster than it reads. For a RAID-5 system, this makes ZERO sense to me. Anyone care to chime in?
Since i just got done installing Linux on my new box (Suse 10.2 x64) I figured that it'd be nice to run some benches on my WD5000YS to see whether LSR is better than using the "firmware raid" provided by the ICH8r.I have manually made a 2.6.19 kernel and am running that now, since I thought that I needed that in order to use my ICH8r to its fullest potential. I have yet to try and get a firmware raid running. Since I'd rather not wait for a close to TiB sized array to initialize, I have decided to run my LSR tests in a 18GB RAID-5 array. I am mounting the disk(s) to /wd1
System:
C2D e6300 @ 2.8GHz, 2GB RAM, Gigabyte DS4.
Here are some bonnie++ numbers. I know that, like HDTach, this says little about real world performance, but at least it'll show how fast (or slow) my drives are:
Single WD5000YS (1) on ICH8r, in AHCI mode
Code:
Version 1.01d ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
-Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
C2DLIN 4G 47181 21 46812 10 23043 2 64525 34 61850 4 248.0 0
------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
-Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
C2DLIN,4G,47181,21,46812,10,23043,2,64525,34,61850,4,248.0,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++
Code:
Version 1.01d ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
-Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
C2DLIN 4G 47057 21 47150 10 23097 3 71402 37 65461 5 247.8 0
------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
-Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
C2DLIN,4G,47057,21,47150,10,23097,3,71402,37,65461,5,247.8,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++
Single WD5000YS (3) on ICH8r, in AHCI mode
Code:
Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
C2DLIN 4G 47057 21 47150 10 23097 3 71402 37 65461 5 247.8 0
------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
-Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
C2DLIN,4G,47057,21,47150,10,23097,3,71402,37,65461,5,247.8,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++
LSR RAID-5, 3 x WD5000YS on ICH8r, in AHCI mode, 18GB partition
Code:
gwk@C2DLIN:~> bonnie++ -d /wd1
Version 1.01d ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential Input- --Random-
-Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- --Block-- --Seeks--
Machine Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP /sec %CP
C2DLIN 4G 74239 33 77352 16 31929 5 92486 47 90164 9 80.0 0
------Sequential Create------ --------Random Create--------
-Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- --Read--- -Delete--
files /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP /sec %CP
16 +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++ +++++ +++
C2DLIN,4G,74239,33,77352,16,31929,5,92486,47,90164,9,80.0,0,16,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++,+++++,+++
What really baffles me about all these numbers is that it appears that my system can write faster than it reads. For a RAID-5 system, this makes ZERO sense to me. Anyone care to chime in?