Linux HTPCs

fantasma

n00b
Hey, I was wondering if anyone out there has had success with Linux HTPCs. I've been working on a multiple purpose server. It's functions are router/gateway, NAS server, and HTPC. The first two things work without issues but I continuously run in to problems setting it up as an HTPC.
The biggest issue is 5.1 audio. By default, several linux distros use pulseaudio which is very buggy. Some people have managed to get 5.1 audio to work flawlessly without crackling or noise but I haven't gotten there yet. I am not sure if I ever will with pulseaudio... I haven't had much luck getting esound to work as an alternative either.
Next issue is 1080p output. ATI cards have limited support for linux, so I bought an nvidia card, geforce 8400gs with VDPAU for accelerated video decoding and hdmi output. I have successfully gotten this to work in the past, so I am not too worried about this.
Next issue is XBMC. As of now, I've gotten it running, it's just a matter of figuring out how to get it to start fullscreen with the proper resolution on my extended display (my TV) without messing up the resolution of the other monitor.

With all that being said, is anybody using linux as an HTPC successfully with 5.1 audio and 1080p? Please share your experience.

Many people use Linux HTPCs succesfully, personally I have nevr had issues with 5.1 audio (over S/PDIF) it has always been plug-n-play in my experience.
I use Mandriva with XBMC (package is here) , in Mandriva 2010.0 Pulseaudio works great (that's coming from someone who has been a PA basher up to when I tried 2010.0).

Hardforum is great but for Linux HTPC help, the AVSforum HTPC - Linux Chat is best:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Back