Linux folding questions

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
Few questions on a new little project I've taken up

First off, just wanna say thanks to musky for his awesome Linux Guide!!!

OK, so now I'm running linux and I set it up for bigadv, just wondering if there is any bigadv shortage

Another one, is there any linux ap like realtemp where I can monitor the CPU temps in real time? I've never had a reason to do this in linux, last linux build I had had a temp readout right on the mobo

Finally, I know this is dumb and just for myself but you know how windows has the task manager where you can see a window per core and a little graph per core with data on resources, I know of a similar text based version, just wonder if there is a gui version, I like taskbar lol

Thanks guys, just a small project to help me get back in the game. War's over, disease aint, so this SGT is gonna carry on with the fight lol

OK, let me clarify, there is a system monitor in ubuntu, but for some reason mine doesnt show all the CPU cores that the bios does, and I know they are working because when I start fah it gives the correct core count. I'm thinking there is a core limit (?) for the built in one, I was wondering if there is another I can run that will work closer to the windows version, or atleast give me a proper CPU core count

bigadv shortage - not that i have seen

temp monitoring - probably lm-sensors and gkrellm would be your best bet if you must have a GUI front end

system monitor - no idea in GUI - I just use top, but I am running with just a CLI.

Jump on irc this evening and we'll check things out and figure something out for you.

Actually, gkrellm will show system load as well, so that might be all you need. It should be in the software manager for Ubuntu. The problem you are going to have is, there are 48 temperatures and 48 load graphs you can show. I hope you have a big monitor... :)

Thanks man. Got it trying to get a bigadv but it's just grabbing normal SMP units right now. I've only got the one core dl'd so far, will I need to di the kraken again if I get another core? On that note, what's the other core for?

It's just chewing away at the regular SMP's now, frame times are jumping between 1:35 ish to a hair over 3 min. Not sure why, maybe system use? Seems to be holding stable at above/below 2 minute mark tho, roughly 120-140k ppd. That seem about right for 1.9ghz? Ram is stil CL9, gotta figure that whole mess out tomorrow but for now she seems to be running fine.

I just gotta get rough ideas on load temps, then I can try to figure out how to adjust the fan speed, I can live with a few degrees extra for less noise, I forgot how loud dynatrons were lol, I'm so glad I put the folding bench and my rack in the gun room, that shit would drive me bonkers if it was in the office.

Besides the kraken and lowering my CL speed, any other optimizations I can do on this rig in Linux? It's a tuan so I can't oc so I'm limited to ram and in the OS options

thanks again man, your guide brought back a bunch of the Linux training I got in the army, havnt used much since lol

As far as bigadv goes your next WU should be a bigadv if you are using the bigadv flag. Stanford had the server down for a little while trying to get rid of some bad bigadv WU's that have been messing things up for a little while. For temps try bringing a prompt screen up and typing in (sensors) you may have to install them but they might be there. Frame times should level out after you get the Kraken installed.

bigadv shortage - not that i have seen

I had a machine unable to get work for about 7 hours yesteday. I'm not sure if it's related to Virtual Box somehow though....I just started using it. The machine was running bigadv(when available) in Windows.

I changed the machine id and it grabbed a work unit right away.

I noticed downloads of the WU's are slow too, about 1/10th of what the line is capable of. Uploads are much better, but still not full speed for whatever reason.

They took one of the bigadv servers off line again to try and cure the problem with 512 byte WU. It should be back up and dispensing proper WU now.

I had a machine unable to get work for about 7 hours yesteday. I'm not sure if it's related to Virtual Box somehow though....I just started using it. The machine was running bigadv(when available) in Windows.

I changed the machine id and it grabbed a work unit right away.

I noticed downloads of the WU's are slow too, about 1/10th of what the line is capable of. Uploads are much better, but still not full speed for whatever reason.

My Virtualbox VM on the 980x rig has been getting a steady diet of -bigadv workunits as of late, albeit 6904s. :eek: If something has happened in the last 4 days then it sounds like the server problem like Nathan_P says.

Going out of town this weekend, but got a 6901, atleast I'm cracking out over 200k now. Gonna have to irc it up Monday tho cuz it's no where near the 400k I thought I'd get but atleast it's going, and another 200k ppd over the weekend won't hurt the team lol

My Virtualbox VM on the 980x rUIig has been getting a steady diet of -bigadv workunits as of late, albeit 6904s. :eek: If something has happened in the last 4 days then it sounds like the server problem like Nathan_P says.

I got a couple of 6901s at first, but 6903s after. It's running on a 16 and 24 thread machine. No overclocking, so your 980x machine might be faster.....

is there any linux ap like realtemp where I can monitor the CPU temps in real time
For a very lean monitor, you might wish to try Turion Power Control, (TPC), that's assuming an AMD system. For Intel I7 systems, i7z is good. Its display is like TPC, a terminal window. Thanks to those who recommended i7z to me on the H IRC. :) TPC can be set for full time, real time monitoring.

Back