Linux Failover Soluitons

DESmack

Weaksauce
I have two Linux servers acting as pure gateway boxes for the Lounge. The are both the same except in the dsl connection they have. The primary has a 2mb connection and the secondary (backup) has a 512k. My goal is to have 100% internet and networking redundancy and total hardware redundancy. IE if one box physically dies the other should seamlessly take over serving up the necessary functions to keep the network alive. I.e. iptables, dhcp, bind, and squid.

The next goal is to have weighted load balancing across the connections for optimal use. The third goal is to incorporate squid as part of the solution as it allows us to keep anonymous stats of customer usage. These last two goals are not fixed. I.e. if the final failover solution does not require them that’s fine. At a bare minimum I need fail over of all services. The last bit is I don’t want to buy or make one box that has both connections going into it as this does not meet the 100% hardware failover requirement.

My current selection of solutions is this:

Two NICs in each client. Down side is I have to allocate dhcp leases to mac address for each card and each pc. Not so good when I am doing ghosting. Up side is its pretty straight forward to execute. I have squid running transparently on the gateways so there is no need to for auto proxy scripts. This is 100% failover.

Implement the DHCP failover protocol to operate between the two servers. I am not sure though how seamless this would be in failover as the primary connection would be broadcasting 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway and the secondary would be broadcasting itself.. 192.168.1.2 as the primary gateway. How would I flush out the now dead info on the clients?? This is 100% failover.

Use the squid caches in a parent/ child relationship. This is only 60% failover for the network because the clients would be pointing to the primary as its gateway. If the just primary connection went down the cache would pass requests onto to the parent cache, the secondary connection. However if the primary BOX went offline completely then nothing would go out.

DNS round robin… Although very easy to implement, round robin DNS has important drawbacks, such as those inherited from the DNS hierarchy itself and TTL times, which causes undesired address caching to be very difficult to manage. Also once a tcp connection has been established the client will keep accessing that address via the dns server that handled the request initially. this is not ideal as the primary connection is 2mb. I can weight the allocation but the clients will keep using the secondary for any successful requests. This is turn does not give our customers a consistent user experience which is one of our management goals as the backup connection is noticeably slower.

Automatic re writing of routing table on the primary serer to pass requests onto the secondary server. This only 60% failover for the network because the clients would be pointing to the primary as its gateway. However if the primary BOX went offline completely then nothing would go out.

Have a third NIC in the primary connection. When the connection goes down, eth0 turns off, eth1 turns on, iptables turns of, eth1 then sends request to the secondary gateway. This only 60% failover for the network because the clients would be pointing to the primary as its gateway. However if the primary BOX went offline completely then nothing would go out.

Setup a cluster using Linux HA. Might be out of our skill set to implement.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Lindsay Rex

I know OpenBSD added a feture like this just recently, involving Carp and pfsync. I don't know about linux though. Most of the stuff I have seen for redundancy with Linux routers is they actually use one router with 2 wan connections, and iproute2 to setup multiple outside links that if one dies it will use the other. Here is the page I found covering the subject http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

Read up on FreeVRRPD, it will do everything you want with the failover situation without as much complexity (imo anyways) than what you described.

I have an article up setting up redundant firewall with a single internet connection on my site, http://www.unixforums.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=42

you can read through that and possibly look to implement this type of situation....also, you can google for freevrrpd and linux and get a pretty good pile of thinsg to read

Xipher said:
I know OpenBSD added a feture like this just recently, involving Carp and pfsync. I don't know about linux though. Most of the stuff I have seen for redundancy with Linux routers is they actually use one router with 2 wan connections, and iproute2 to setup multiple outside links that if one dies it will use the other. Here is the page I found covering the subject http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

I have come across that link Xipher in my readings. I belive though that it deals with having the two connections insatlled on the one box. :(

I am trying to achive hardware failover as well...

draconius said:
Read up on FreeVRRPD, it will do everything you want with the failover situation without as much complexity (imo anyways) than what you described.

I have an article up setting up redundant firewall with a single internet connection on my site, http://www.unixforums.net/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=42

you can read through that and possibly look to implement this type of situation....also, you can google for freevrrpd and linux and get a pretty good pile of thinsg to read

Thank you draconius for your ideas. I have been searching for over a week and a half now.. Your how to on bsd looks very interesting. I wasn’t sure if there was a way to have two servers aware of each other and present to the network one virtual ip address. Do you know if your solution can be adapted to my needs.? I also have to use a PPPoA aware version of pppd for connecting up to adsl here. Its a quirk of the United Kingdom ADSL. That requires the 2.4 kernel to be patched for support for ATM and for the pppd scripts.

I have not ever worked with it in a situation that deals with linux...so I cannot be of much help, but all I can suggest is irc channels and mailing lists...and google :D

Back