Linux experts... Need some help

SatTech

2[H]4U
For all you Linux gods, I've got 1 problem and 1 question.

First, I've got an ASUS PCE-N15 wireless adapter and have absolutely idea how to get installed and running. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10.

Here's a link to the firmware : http://www.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Adapters/PCEN15

If somebody could write up a step by step walkthrough of getting the drivers installed, I'd be very grateful.

And a quick question. Is there any way to make it so HFM can be run by double clicking an icon on the desktop instead of having to open a terminal and using sudo mono? OS is Ubuntu 10.10 also.

Thanks guys.

You might want to try Ubuntu 12.04 - I think it supports that wifi card.

A Google search shows that several people have had trouble with that card in Linux, even with 12.04 Ubuntu. I also didn't see any solutions. My experience with wireless and Linux is that everything either just works, or never will work. I would recommend setting up a wireless bridge and using that to connect your Linux box to your network.

That's not a bad idea. I only found a bunch of people having issues also during my searching. Asus has Linux drivers, but reading their 'readme' file included made no sense to me (considering I know next to nothing about Linux, this really was no surprise). I was hoping somebody else could make heads or tails of it. If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. If it's going to be as problematic as it kinda seems, I'll dig around and see if I can find an old wireless router and go the bridge route.

Thanks guys.

That's not a bad idea. I only found a bunch of people having issues also during my searching. Asus has Linux drivers, but reading their 'readme' file included made no sense to me (considering I know next to nothing about Linux, this really was no surprise). I was hoping somebody else could make heads or tails of it. If anybody has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. If it's going to be as problematic as it kinda seems, I'll dig around and see if I can find an old wireless router and go the bridge route.

Thanks guys.

The driver file that can be downloaded is a fairly basic install - I think you would just gunzip the zip file, cd to the new directory, then make and sudo make install to install it. However, it appears that it still doesn't work, which is why I didn't suggest doing this.

musky,

Ubuntu is a bit different from other distros.

I do know you would need to have the linux-headers installed for your kernel to make a new module. Adding modules to kernels which are not included in the source is a bit touch-and-go in every case.

The safer (safer being more likely to work) option, is to download a new kernel with support for the realtek 8192 chipset.

For Ubuntu, it means you will need:
1. Install: fakeroot kernel-wedge build-essential makedumpfile kernel-package libncurses5 libncurses5-dev
2. Copy your current config (.config) to the new kernel directory
3. Make menuconfig and ensure that the rt8192 modules are selected and loadable. (In kernel 3.3 they are located as below)
..a. You need to make sure that 802.11 support is available in: Networking Support -> Wireless -> cfg80211, common routines for 802.11 drivers & mac80211
..b. You need to add the correct modules in: Device Drivers -> Network Device Support -> Wireless LAN -> Realtek RTL8192CE, SE, DE and CU are selected
4. Make the kernel and install packages: fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-VERSION_NUMBER kernel-image kernel-headers. Normally I would just copy the bzImage and initrd.img to /boot and run update-grub, but again this doesn't seem to work for Ubuntu, so I blindly follow the dev direction.
5. Install the new kernel packages: sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-VERSION_NUMBER.Custom_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-VERSION_NUMBER.Custom_amd64.deb

SatTech, does Brainbug's post make the wireless bridge idea look better?? :)

Brainbug, I am sure you are right, and I am also sure you completely lost 98% of our Linux folders with that post. I struggled mightily building a custom kernel the one time I actually did it (something goofy about pciehp and SR-2s), and eventually decided the logging an error to the screen ever 10 seconds was preferable to a custom kernel... :)

SatTech, does Brainbug's post make the wireless bridge idea look better?? :)

Brainbug, I am sure you are right, and I am also sure you completely lost 98% of our Linux folders with that post. I struggled mightily building a custom kernel the one time I actually did it (something goofy about pciehp and SR-2s), and eventually decided the logging an error to the screen ever 10 seconds was preferable to a custom kernel... :)

Absolutely. What a PITA...

Hope this thread helps.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1988161

I've used a Netgear Range extender that required a bit of tweaking with the device's configuration. Currently I have a D-link USB :eek: wireless adapter(don't remember the model @ atm) that installed with Ubuntu 12.04 without breaking a sweat.

Back