linux emulation of xp

xzanos

Weaksauce
ok so here is the deal. i have linux installed on my ps3 and i am trying to use qemu to emulate windows xp. i have the qemu files on the desktop in linux and it says to open termenal and type sudo apt-get install qemu to install but when i do this i get an error

reading package list... done
building dependency tree
reading state information... done
E: couldn't find package qemu

and from here i have no idea what to do pls any help would be appreceated

ok so here is the deal. i have linux installed on my ps3 and i am trying to use qemu to emulate windows xp. i have the qemu files on the desktop in linux and it says to open termenal and type sudo apt-get install qemu to install but when i do this i get an error

reading package list... done
building dependency tree
reading state information... done
E: couldn't find package qemu

and from here i have no idea what to do pls any help would be appreceated

What distro of linux is this? Judging by the use of apt, I'm going to guess Ubuntu. If it's ubuntu, then you can always check the ubunbu package repository. In this case, "qemu" is the correct package name but it is only available for i386 and amd64 architectures. That's not to say that qemu won't run on ppc. It most certainly does. But Ubuntu does not offer a pre-compiled package, likely because there is no developer to maintain it.

This means you'd either need to compile it by hand, find someone who makes a third-party package for it on ppc, or use a distro that includes a ppc build in their default repository (such as debian or gentoo)

EDIT: additionally, what do yo plan on doing with xp?

Back