LINUX Email Server

heavenlykid

Limp Gawd
ok this suks! im trying to setup an email server using ubuntu server 8.04. Its first a pain in the ass even with basic knowledge of linux. I was wandering if any linux geeks wanna help me out. to make a long story shot i need an email server with webmail access, imap , antivirus, filtering so on etc i think you get the point. I have ubuntu installed right now all the tutorials do is explain what packages you need but no one really explains configuration. make a long story short any links or info you can give would be awesome.

i remember Axigen was easy to install and once you install it you have a nice GUI to work with, i cannot find the article right now

i think you might be better served to install the packages yourself and get them working. it has been my experience that it is very difficult to get components to work together if they weren't packaged together (like IMAP server and spam filter) because the best how-to's assume you're installing the packages manually or at least separately.

i was under the impression that clarkconnect was jus a firewall system like smooth wall and endian

It's sort of a...hmmm......open source distro with Small Business Server like features. A combo of a server, email server, router/firewall.

I was dissuaded from doing anything like running a mail server due to long
threads on the freebsd-questions mail list, nowadays with spam/whitelisting/
greylisting/blacklisting and a plethora of other stuff to consider, the "pro's"
suggest just email services elsewhere OR if one has upwards of several
hundred email users, to be prepared to spend tons of hours.
also choice of which email
exim (new book out)
qmail
sendmail (etc etc)

Back