Linux Distro Mageia Hits Version 4

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mageia has announced that version 4 of Mageia Linux has been released and is currently ready for download.

The new Mageia Welcome screen is designed with newcomers in mind. It will be displayed on the first boot, with tips and information. Luckily, it will display regardless of the environment the user selects

I have this and Mint-Cinnamon running on a laptop to learn with, and I'm actually impressed by both of them. If any Linux-geek wants to help me make a choice which is better and can explain why, I'd love to read it... In any case, I think they are both right at the point where I have actually begun to consider swapping to it a lot more from my Windows, even though I am MCSE certed and such... I've toyed with Linux before, but these new versions are really looking polished MUCH better than they used to be.

I like Mageia as I like the name and history of Mandrake, and I have sampled Mandrake in the past as being the highest like contender for my time, while I read that Ubuntu-based linux versions were higher on the security side, and frankly, I have loaded quite a few of my Steam games onto Mint and they work great. So, right now, I have both, and have pretty much ruled out the others for general desktop use.

If you have any desire to play with Linux, Try this version... it is truly impressive, enough to leave me still on the fence even after doing a bit of research and reading. It has a lot of the latest versions of software, even if they may still be slightly beta, but the team does such a good job of putting it all together, it so far just works for me.

Install was smooth, detected all of the hardware in this Dell 6500, etc. Wifi setup was a breeze, etc. In short, Linux has come a LONG way.

I really want to ditch Windows, but my games are what keeping me from doing it ! i really want to start learning linux.

so far my current games are BF4 and Dota 2 some Dayz and soon to be ESO

Can anyone find some screenshots of this distro? I've looked and looked and it bewilders me that screenshots can't easily be found on their main website. Unless I'm just overlooking them. Right now I use Ubuntu, but I don't really like Unity at all, and I'm looking for something different. For some reason I have trouble with Linux Mint and getting certain hardware to work right with it, but in Ubuntu everything works great. I'd like to try Mageia out, but I'd really like to see what it looks like first.

I really want to ditch Windows, but my games are what keeping me from doing it ! i really want to start learning linux.

so far my current games are BF4 and Dota 2 some Dayz and soon to be ESO

I feel the same way. I've dropped certain programs I use that are Windows only and found alternatives, but my biggest problem is being able to play certain games I really enjoy. I've got about 400 games on Steam and only 60-80 of them will run on Linux, some of them not that well.

Curious how many are taking a pass on Win.
(though iOS/Mac fan-boys don't really count)

I ditched windows as a base platform about 9 months ago... not looking back.

CentOS is my base OS with Win7 running inside a VM (VMWare workstation for linux).

Still use windows because that's what 100% my clients use for desktops (VPN, remote, office documents, etc.). Also, some of my dev-tools don't yet work in Linux.

But who really cares about games anymore?
Since SOF II, there's just hasn't been much left worth the effort (and I was almost burned by a few bad "requires internet" games) - not looking back).

Curious how many are taking a pass on Win.
(though iOS/Mac fan-boys don't really count)

I ditched windows as a base platform about 9 months ago... not looking back.

CentOS is my base OS with Win7 running inside a VM (VMWare workstation for linux).

Still use windows because that's what 100% my clients use for desktops (VPN, remote, office documents, etc.). Also, some of my dev-tools don't yet work in Linux.

But who really cares about games anymore?
Since SOF II, there's just hasn't been much left worth the effort (and I was almost burned by a few bad "requires internet" games) - not looking back).

SOF II?

The best part of Linux is that it doesn't force you to keep your laptop on while it installs updates at shutdown time. MS has some strange idea that we like watching these install or something.

**Goes back to console to watch gentoo compile**

I have this and Mint-Cinnamon running on a laptop to learn with, and I'm actually impressed by both of them. If any Linux-geek wants to help me make a choice which is better and can explain why, I'd love to read it... In any case, I think they are both right at the point where I have actually begun to consider swapping to it a lot more from my Windows, even though I am MCSE certed and such... I've toyed with Linux before, but these new versions are really looking polished MUCH better than they used to be.

I use Mint 16 on my laptop for the same reason. I don't dare use it on my desktop because it's not ready for daily use. Graphic drivers still need more improvement, and Wine compatibility needs to get better.

that's it,
"Soldier of Fortune 2"

Reasonable effort to mod' and host.
- not locked into publisher's hosting environment.

The GPU resources don't transfer over to Type II VMs, only Type I, unfortunately.
A lot of 2D games will play very well through a hosted VM though.

Well the advantage is, you still have your windows install for gaming, and linux for other things. Plus it's the easiest way to try linux these days. No dual boot hassles. Especially with UEFI.

Going to haft to give this a try. Linux I always wanted to try and have messed with it on the game servers. Learned just enough to set up and run a game server but never quite shiney enough for daily usage. SoF and SoF II and early versions of CS are when I last played with Linux and it looks to have come a long way.

Well the advantage is, you still have your windows install for gaming, and linux for other things. Plus it's the easiest way to try linux these days. No dual boot hassles. Especially with UEFI.

Try and run any modern game in the last 10 years on a type II (hosted) VM, and let me know how that works out. ;)

I get what you are saying, but for games, and other high-end 3D applications, it isn't feasible at all since the GPU resources don't carry over.
Don't believe me? Try it for your self!

Since I started playing with Mint 14, I've really fallen for the Cinnamon versions of it. Right now, I have a Latitude 2100 netbook and a Latitude D620 laptop. The 2100 has Windows 7 Pro installed and the D620 is PROBABLY going to get Mint 16 really, really soon. I think my only grumpies about it are the pretty frequent version number changes that make be want to reinstall everything with the latest version just so I feel all trendy and current.

Since I really don't care at all about gaming, it doesn't matter at all what kind of computer or operating system I'm using. Windows 8 is okay, but after playing around with it, I think I'm better off using more Linux and keeping ahead of OS industry changes. Also, it's nice to not have your OS wanting to constantly get in touch with your Hotmail account for junk like profile sync and cloud storage.

Try and run any modern game in the last 10 years on a type II (hosted) VM, and let me know how that works out. ;)

I get what you are saying, but for games, and other high-end 3D applications, it isn't feasible at all since the GPU resources don't carry over.

I'm confused. I wasn't implying he game inside a VM. That would be a waste of time, and a new source of pain.

I'm confused. I wasn't implying he game inside a VM. That would be a waste of time, and a new source of pain.
looks like he thought you were suggesting to run windows in a VM instead of you suggesting running linux in a VM to try it out.

People still use Type 2 Hypervisors?

Back