Linux Distro for Asus EEE PC 900a

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an Asus EEE PC 900a with a measly 4GB SSD. I've tried Ubuntu and Xubuntu, but those took up nearly the whole drive and left only about 500mb free space. That's not good since I could install XP with 1.5 GB left. What are some good linux distros that don't take up a lot of space?

Damn Small Linux, Slax, Knoppix, Puppy Linux would be worth checking out.

I'd probably suggest elementaryOS, an offshoot of Ubuntu, gutted of most of the bloat, but a very nice solid little distro just the same.

Are they still doing the Ubuntu Netbook Remix? It's a variation of Ubuntu that's designed around the small screen & storage provided by netbooks.

Are they still doing the Ubuntu Netbook Remix? It's a variation of Ubuntu that's designed around the small screen & storage provided by netbooks.

It would appear they discontinued production of this.

Have you thought about buying a larger ssd for it? 16gb SSDs aren't super expensive and should work nicely for normal sized linux distros.

Puppeee, or Peppermint OS

you could also buy a 8GB SD card and install Linux on the SD Card

I used a 16gb SD card in mine. I installed /boot and / to the SSD and put /home on the SD card, works pretty well.

I'm running UNBR, but removed all the netbook interface stuff. The regular versions all complained about disk space during install.

Debian can work too.

Arch Linux is well supported on this netbook. I had it installed on mine for a time and it seemed the perfect fit. I went with Xfce as a Desktop Environment.

I agree that Arch would be a good choice, as long as you're comfortable using the command line for installation. Once you get it installed it's a dream, Pacman is fantastic.

I'd agree with Arch, or Debian netinstall. Either is going to be as small as possible, and they both perform REALLY well. My personal favorite 2 OS's.

Just avoid KDE4 or Gnome3...use something smaller.

I'd agree with Arch, or Debian netinstall. Either is going to be as small as possible, and they both perform REALLY well. My personal favorite 2 OS's.

Just avoid KDE4 or Gnome3...use something smaller.

XFCE, LXDE, or Fluxbox :)

I had one of these and upgraded it to 2GB of RAM, and a 32GB SSD drive from Newegg. I then installed Jolicloud on the netbook. It workes well for when we travel, my wife uses it now.

Well, what I ended up doing was installing Ubuntu on it and put the /usr and /home partitions on an SD card

Back