Linux data Recovery software suggestions

DGMurdockIII

Limp Gawd
I do some data recovery a local computer store I work at and I'm wondering what other Linux software is good to use besides PhotoRec

Hmm I don't know of any linux based, but if you don't mind buying the software and running windows to recover data with I found reclaime as one of the best at recovering usable data. It covers Windows, Mac, and Linux (and a few others including raid volumes and some NAS specific type) formatted drives. You can check it out here: http://www.reclaime.com/

It is a bit pricey with the ultimate version being $200, but they occasionally have sales through another website bitsdujour (where I bought my copy of ultimate for $80). I found it very useful when my MythTV HDD died and I got it running long enough to make an exact image and I recovered most of the media files I had on it from the imaged data file. I have a few recovery software utilities and of the three I tried only reclaime got back the most working data. With others it recovered data but most were truncated or corrupted.

Probably not what you were looking for though but I figure you might want to know about alternatives. :)

I'll put a recommendation in for GetDataBack from Runtime. I know a number of people who have used their products successfully with great results.

Back