Linux Based or Purchased Router?

gta95

Limp Gawd
It seems like my router is dieing and im looking to replace it. I have tried running Clark Connect on an old pc of mine that machine has no DMA support or somethin that prevents it from installing correctly( I used some kinda work around when installing Gentoo to mess around with). Would IPCOP or Smoothwall or m0n0wall have these same work arounds? Or would I have to go with a purchased-firewall?

One average it seems this question is asked about once every hour on here... searching would reveal quite a few people in the same boat as you along with plenty of recent advice on which router to go with, etc.

Your question is only going to boil down to personal opinion... if you have an extra box laying around that you wouldn't mind dedicating to be a firewall then go for it as you seem intent on at least playing around with the idea. To answer the other question - I've installed m0n0wall, IPCOP and Smoothwall on everything from 386's to P4's... I don't anticipate any problem.

IF you're looking to purchase a router it seems the consensus around here is either the Dlink DGL-4100 (or DGL-4300 if you need basic wireless) or the Linksys RV082. Both are on the upper end of SOHO performance branching into small business but they do come with a price tag. The difference between these guys in the $90-200 range though is astounding when compared to other cheaper SOHO routers; The last time I had to shut my DGL-4100 down for maintenance it had 40'something days of uptime. :)

Orinthical said:
One average it seems this question is asked about once every hour on here... searching would reveal quite a few people in the same boat as you along with plenty of recent advice on which router to go with, etc.

Your question is only going to boil down to personal opinion... if you have an extra box laying around that you wouldn't mind dedicating to be a firewall then go for it as you seem intent on at least playing around with the idea. To answer the other question - I've installed m0n0wall, IPCOP and Smoothwall on everything from 386's to P4's... I don't anticipate any problem.

IF you're looking to purchase a router it seems the consensus around here is either the Dlink DGL-4100 (or DGL-4300 if you need basic wireless) or the Linksys RV082. Both are on the upper end of SOHO performance branching into small business but they do come with a price tag. The difference between these guys in the $90-200 range though is astounding when compared to other cheaper SOHO routers; The last time I had to shut my DGL-4100 down for maintenance it had 40'something days of uptime. :)

OOOOOOO 40 days of uptime! Legendary!!

IMO, your question boils down to this: a linux box is fun to tinker with and configure, and if tinkered with and configured well can provide you with a ton of fantastic features unfound in soho routers. Now, the soho routers' ball game is with reliability and plug-and-play-ability, along with tech support (whatever) and many of the features you could find in the firewall distros.

QED

nick_sabatino said:
OOOOOOO 40 days of uptime! Legendary!!

/shrug note that I said the only reason it stopped at 40 days was because I was doing maintenance on the network. And for a SOHO off-the-shelf router? With the beating I put it through most of the time that's pretty damn respectable. So... laugh/jab all you want.

If you don't need wireless..my favorite "under 100 dollar" wired router is the Linksys befsx41...running on 1.45.7 firmware. I've several hundred of them out in service. Stable and fast...the "SX" series is quite a bit better than the common "SR" series.

if you are going to go with a linksys router, you can flash it with dd-wrt and get a ton of more features.

I don't need wireless in any of these routers, I already have a wireless MIMO access point. Are my two choices good?

gta95 said:
I don't need wireless in any of these routers, I already have a wireless MIMO access point. Are my two choices good?

If you don't need wireless and only have $50'ish to spend, get the Linksys BEFSX41.

Back