Linux App Questions.

meinzorn

[H]ard|Gawd
ok, I've been working on getting my linux up and running very nicely.. I'm so far running slackware linux, desktop = xfce4.

I want a different file manager. xffm isn't quite cutting it for me.. It's hard for me to really keep track of what i'm doing with it.. it just annoys me. I kinda like the way that (yes, I know this is sick of me to say) windows explorer works.. so something that works along those lines would be nice. just looking for suggestions.

I'm also looking for a different terminal program. A friend of mine said eterm was good.. but I figured i'd come here and ask what all of your opinions were before installing anything. I'd like to be able to go semitransparent with it... and I like to have the colors in the text (I'm not sure what the option is called). where like different file types are different colors. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance :)

I'm not that familiar with Linux file managers (I'm strictly command line/terminal), but a terminal suggestion is aterm.

Eterm is nice and all, but aterm uses much fewer resources.

I use xfce4 also and I know what you mean about xffm. I am used to it now, but I do most of my moves/copies from the command line. I have heard good about Rox, but haven't tried it myself.

Originally posted by Iconz1
Nautilus / Konqueror?
bingo!
if you have gnome or kde also installed onto your machine, you can use the associated file manager.
if you want pretty colors and transparancy in your terminal, then eterm is the way to go.

aterm is another terminal that you might want to try. it also supports all the eye candy. as for your different colored files in the terminal, i am pretty sure they all support that. just add this to your ~/.bashrc file:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

this will use the default color scheme present on the system, which is fine for most people.

Originally posted by BriguyNJ
bingo!
if you have gnome or kde also installed onto your machine, you can use the associated file manager.
if you want pretty colors and transparancy in your terminal, then eterm is the way to go.

well, installing gnome and KDE along with xfce would kinda defeat the purpose of installing xfce to me.. i'm trying to go for as minimal of an install as possible.. with still having a easy to work with desktop/pretty desktop.

yeah, sounds contradictory (spl). but it makes sence to me. basically just trying to break even. thank you for the suggestion though.

Originally posted by poundofflour
aterm is another terminal that you might want to try. it also supports all the eye candy. as for your different colored files in the terminal, i am pretty sure they all support that. just add this to your ~/.bashrc file:

alias ls='ls --color=auto'

this will use the default color scheme present on the system, which is fine for most people.

that definatly just hit the spot :) thats what i've been looking for..

since you know that I assume that you know the syntax for changing the prompt too... its like PS1="** or something.. i'm not sure exactly.. ?

I might as well download aterm also and give it a whirl.. what I think i'm going to do is just explore everything I possibly can right now, learn what I like best and format in like a few months or something and only install what I want.

thank you again for the help (that goes to everyone)

I have the (single)line

Code:
export PS1="\[\033[0;36m\]\u\[\033[0;37m\]@\[\033[1;31m\]\H\[\033[0m\]::\[\033[1;33m\]\w\[\033[1;37m\] $ \[\033[0m\]"

in my ~/.bashrc

I'm sure you could get more creative (in fact, there are webzits out there with monster 3-line interactive prompts listed), but this one works for me.

As for a 'better' terminal application, I fail to see why (never understood the draw of pseudo-transparent terminals). Xterm has always treated me well, with my .Xdefaults set to do green on black text.

ah.. yes.. thats what I was looking for... damn, I wish my memory would work sometimes.

I don't really dig the huge prompts honestly.. I'm probably just going to use something stupid and simple like

export PS1=" /X\(*,*)/X\ >"

:) just because it looks funny... :)

i have had the same problem, i use flux, but needed a "file manager" type app. There is this proggy called gentoo (you would think the author could find a better name;)) and it is decent for cutting and pasting files and such, but i couldnt really get used to it. So i just sucked it up and emerged all of kde, so now i use konqueror when i need some graphical browsing. But after you get used to it, you can really just start to use a terminal for moving files around.

yeah, the more I got to thinking about it... just from not having a decent file manager I got used to using the terminal for that kinda stuff... so it seems faster and easier for me to use now anyways... So I have rox installed... but I honestly just use command line mostly to move stuff...

thank you for the suggestions everyone.. I'm becoming very content with the way that my system is turning out... I just need to work on this mouse cursor thing.. which I think I have figured.. and i'll be all set :)

Originally posted by cloaked
There is this proggy called gentoo (you would think the author could find a better name;))

the file manager gentoo was around well before the distro gentoo.

ahh
*kids these days*:p
well it is still unnerving to be running a program called gentoo on gentoo

I use xfe for my graphical file manager and aterm for any terminal work. As I've got more and more used to linux I tend to use the terminal for more.

Originally posted by meinzorn
I just need to work on this mouse cursor thing.. which I think I have figured.. and i'll be all set :)
there are some nice graphical xcursor packages
i think they reside at kde-look.org but they are not qt based; you can use them without kde and under and wm

Yeah, I finally have all of it figured out and I think my desktop is looking pretty nice.. I've actually started working on my windows as well.. using stylexp to apply themes.. I have it all looking pretty nice right now.

maybe i'll get around to posting some screen shots.

Back