linux and windows, which first

MikeF98765

Gawd
just got my laptop back from repairs ( i sent it out monday :eek: ) emachines is crazy fast. Anyway i want to dual boot linux and windows. I want to reformat. How should i go about this all? its a emachines 6811... Which should i install first etc.

You should install Windows first, then install whichever linux distribution you want, with a bootloader. Windows likes to be the only operating system on a disk, and may write your master boot record and mess up your linux bootloader if you install it first. If you install Windows first and linux second, you should be golden.

when i instlal windows should i make a second linux partition as i reformat, or will linux break off into its own

most distros will break off on there own and make a new partition for itself... i know red hat does this but i doubt you will be using red hat.... you shouldnt have to go to f disk for it...

I've only set up dual boots using SuSe 9.0 pro but I always just installed windows and left a chunk of hdd space unpartitioned when installing Windows. Not sure what actual requirements are or what your usage will be but 10 - 20 gigs always seemed to be fine. After that when you set up Linux it'll install the boot manager and create all the partitions it needs on whatever chunk of unpartioned space or on the extra non windows format drive.
I'm assuming you're trying this for the first time. Good move. Its a fun experience and it'll teach you a ton about computers and make you a bit wiser even if you never go hardcore 'nix. Its cool to use an O/S without all the "idiot proofing".

I do it this way- Run the linux distro's installer to create at least two Linux partition(s) at the front of the disk. Then quit. Then install windows. Then install Linux.

ex- /dev/hda1 - swap partition
/dev/hda2 - root partition
/dev/hda3 - C: for windows
/dev/hda4 - extended partition - possible a large ext3 or fat32 or several , useful for dumping various data and backups into and trading files between OS's

Puts things in their proper place. ;)

Install Linux first.

On your disk allocate for /boot, /, swap, and another partition for windows (format: fat)

Install Linux as per its instructions

Install Windows on the windows one partition (hda4). It will overwrite the boot sector so you will need to use your Linux install disk to repair the damage.

If you're using lilo just run `lilo` and it will fix it. Make sure to edit lilo.conf for the Windows boot information and re-run lilo.

Windows first. I feel that its easier to make the partitions during the windows install. You can leave them unformatted, then your distro will format them during the Linux install.

I use ubuntu. But if you decide to manual configure your partitions make sure you have a linux swap partition.

thanks guys. I just formatted and installed xp pro and left 20 gigs for linux. I think i want to go suse. Unfortunately i just formatted the iso's i had for this purpose :rolleyes: . Where's a good fast place to download them?

check your favorite torrent site. linux iso's are probably the biggest legit use for the torrent.

for the record, besides convenience, I find that making partitions before installing windows is safer because I still don't trust linux to play nice with my ntfs partitions (if any resizing or moving is to take place).

doh said:
Install Linux first.
On your disk allocate for /boot, /, swap, and another partition for windows (format: fat)

Whatever the install order, use NTFS for the partition where you install Windows. Having a fat32 partition for swapping between OSes is fine but don't use fat32 for th Windows install partition.

Why?

Using Fat32 removes all the file system security. Any code running on the system can subvert and take control of the operating system. From a security standpoint, running Windows from a Fat32 partition is a bad idea, much worse than running as admin.

[MS] said:
Whatever the install order, use NTFS for the partition where you install Windows. Having a fat32 partition for swapping between OSes is fine but don't use fat32 for th Windows install partition.

Why?

Using Fat32 removes all the file system security. Any code running on the system can subvert and take control of the operating system. From a security standpoint, running Windows from a Fat32 partition is a bad idea, much worse than running as admin.

I said to allocate the space as FAT32. NTFS support on Linux is spotty at best. Each time I installed Windows 2000 i wasn't given an option for FAT32 and had to use NTFS. Perhaps this has changed since Windows 2000.

doh said:
I said to allocate the space as FAT32. NTFS support on Linux is spotty at best. Each time I installed Windows 2000 i wasn't given an option for FAT32 and had to use NTFS. Perhaps this has changed since Windows 2000.
Ah...
Fair enough. Guess I assumed you meant something else.

Back