Linux and the MBR

Keith130

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 17, 2003
Messages
378
I have just uninstalled linux (well more like made it format its own partition because it wasnt booting right) and now the bootloader for it comes up when i boot but there is no linux?! how do I kill off the boot loader from the master boot record?
 
If you're using Windows, keep reading. If you're loading say, BSD, don't worry about it and just install.

If you haven't installed windows yet, just install it. It'll fix the boot sector all by itself.

If you have Windows on the box and don't want to blow it away, you just need to get your boot sector back.

For Dos/95/98/Me You'll need a command prompt and a copy of fdisk. Just run "fdisk /mbr". That'll rewrite the boot sector.

For XP (and probably NT and 2K), the "fixmbr" command can restore your boot sector. I'm not sure if it's available in Windows since I've never tried to use on an un-hosed system, but you can just boot off the installation CD and fire up the recovery console.
I think it's "fixmbr C:" There's (limited) help built into the recovery console, at least enough to figure out the syntax of the command.
 
where do I use the fixmbr command?

EDIT: Im being stpid if I had read the post properly the first time I would have found out where to do it. I got it working again, its just "fixmbr" that I used.
 
Back
Top