linux and bugs

jws2346

[H]ard|Gawd
I just finished an article about Dell computers shipping with a version of Ubuntu installed on some of their machines. I also read another article concerning Linux getting a "leg up" in desktop OS popularity because of Microsoft's VISTA just getting it's SP1. (I have no idea how anyone could come to this conclusion, but maybe he just hates Microsoft or he has stock in Dell l?)

Anyhoo, if Linux does become a popular desktop OS (I know for a fact it's a popular OS in the folding crowd) you know there's gonna' be some "yo yo" out there that's gonna' write "mucho" viruses for Linux. Evidently there are already Linux specific viruses, but not nearly as many as windose has. So do you guys/gals think it would be prudent for all of us 24/7 folding people with "always on" internet to get some kind of antivirus program for our folders or would it be a waste of time. (not only that, but wouldn't it also slow the boxen down?) :confused:

Thanks for any answers and if this is "old hat" information please give me a break because it's new to me (and no, I don't live in a cave) :)

My Linux stuff is all through VMs, so I can always just trash em and start over. That being said, I think it's quite a while before Linux becomes a major enough OS to even take on the OSX market share, let alone anything approaching Windows. It just isn't easy enough for consumers on the mass scale yet.

Not only are antivirus programs not needed for linux at this time, if such a program even exists, I have never seen it.

I will emphasize "at this time," though. If and when the day comes that linux has a large enough usage that it becomes an attractive target for virus writers, then things will be different. But for now, its nothing to worry about.

Back