Linus Torvalds

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
I know he is the founder of Linux using Unix OS but just wondering if the man is still alive?
If he is still alive, what is he doing?

Any info?

lol yes he is still alive.. if u get time download the move revolution OS via suprnova.org.

and btw he is the founder of the linux kernel.. which some ppl call the OS.. but a kernel by itself is pretty much useless... the GNU project contributed a lot of code as well as many other third parties. Linus is living in CA now... he quit transmeta to work full time on linux.. although he doesn't write most of the code anymore

if you really wanna learn about linux.. check out the gnu project and the free software foundation on google.. i am sure you can find alot of the history of linux on there.

Not founder per se (I think companies when you say founder), original coder. Then he released the really really early builds out to Usenet, and the so-called early Linux hackers came to be who all collectively helped flesh out Linux.

He's also very much alive, I think he's he in his mid or late 30s. He works at Transmeta Corporation, and that's all I know. I assume he's working on Linux while at Transmeta as programmer or something, but I have no idea, since Transmeta is mostly hardware and VLSI.

edit: hmm, I guess he doesn't work at Transmeta anymore as devourment says. I think OpenSource.org now pays him to be the Linux maintainer. Anything that is to be integrated into the kernel has to go through Linus' approval.

And I still follow the kernel as OS definition, since that's the correct definition of an operating system.

actually, he no longer works at Transmeta, but now at the Open Source Development Labs, or OSDL. He is kind of on an extended vaction actually. Yes he is still alive, and he is the guy that Started development on Linux. He actually started developmening it on Minix, but basicly he just wanted to make a *nix like OS for his X86. He started on the kernel, and then people started adding it to the GNU stuff that was being developed at the time, since GNU's kernel (herd) wasn't ready yet.

he is still very much involved in kernel development, this somewhat surprised me too when i first learned that, dont know why :)
if you look at the lkml (kernel mailing list) you will see current emails from him regarding kernel work

Oh he is still alive and still the maintainer of the linux kernel. Although these days, about 2% of the code in the linux kernel was written by him. On that note though, 0% of the code was not approved by him :)

My favorite recent article on Linus was in Wired last november (2003), http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.11/linus_pr.html - not an interview, more a day-in-the-life-of. Interesting.

I suggest if you are still interested googling for 'Linus Torvalds Interview'.

Back