Linsys wireless and wired router and network?

Elijah

Limp Gawd
Hello Everyone,

I have been looking at this page and don't know which one to get.

http://www.linksys.com/products/group.asp?grid=33&scid=35

We have a broadband connection coming into room A with a computer and the cable currently goes straight into the Nic.

We will be getting another computer in room B with a wireless G built in, can I get a router device that will allow me to plug in directly in room A and then the wireless in room B can still connect and then we can have a lan setup between the two wirelessly?

I think this explains it clearly, thanks for any help

Get the Linksys WRT54g, alot of people have them and like them. Be sure to flash to the newest firmware as it fixes some firewall bugs.

nice thanks for the quick reply, so we can both access each others computers with this right? I do not have to buy another wireless card for crap PC right?

Thanks again Ice.

Elijah said:
nice thanks for the quick reply, so we can both access each others computers with this right? I do not have to buy another wireless card for crap PC right?

Thanks again Ice.

Well, you will need to put them into a workgroup mode with shares and one computer will need a wireless card if you don't wanna run ethernet cabling to it and the other will need a NIC.

Elijah said:

Thanks again Ice.

Yes. Wired/wireless isn't really relevant in response to that question. They're both network cards. File sharing works the same with wired or wireless. You just have to setup shares and permissions on each share, possibly user accounts. Just depends on how you want to setup your LAN file and print sharing and what OS your using.

Well Ive just looked into this some more and it seems that if i get windows media center (pro variation right) then I can buy the linksys media extender and the picture is sussposed to be pretty good right? No? Well maybe I can wire the house someday but not soon.

We will just get the tv tuner card for right now, either the pvr-350 or 150 and call it good for now. Hook up a tv in that room and have the tivo like functionality in there.

I think I am just going to leave it alone right now and research more we need to place a order tonight for complete system and I am not going to put it off due to 5 more hours of research.

Back