Linksys WUSB600N issues: 60-sec ping latency, timeouts, etc

rpeters83

Gawd
MODS, please delete my old thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1426008

I'm trying to narrow down the issue with my network setup and my HTPC. Here's my setup:

- Linksys WRT610N dual-band router
- Linksys WUSB600N dual-band adapter (both in 802.11N 5ghz)
- HTPC running Vista SP2 (using the above adapter)

I've been having issues with streaming DVD and streaming Hulu to the HTPC. Randomly, the video would stutter/freeze for a second and then resume, as if it's catching up to itself. I found out the issue when using the PING command, that Vista is polling for new wifi networks every 60 seconds, causing a spike in ping response of 4 seconds or timing out. Every 60 seconds this would happen.

I CAN run something like Vista Anti-Lag but I really don't want to resort to running apps-on-apps just to fix an issue this silly.

I fixed PART of the issue but using Ralink drivers, since apparently my adapter uses this chipset. This got rid of the 60-second ping issues, but I'll still randomly see a few timeouts of pings as high as 4000ms, just not every 60 seconds. I've deleted all other profiles in the wifi settings, and set the connection not to connect to other wifi networks. Things are better, but not worthy of the 5ghz N-wireless I paid extra for.

I can't duplicate any of these issues on my laptop running Vista SP2 with an intel 5100 wifi link AGN. That runs smoothly, so I doubt it's my router. Also, my G devices ping and stream just fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

anyone? the spikes now seem random.

UPDATE: I tried putting an older Belkin G usb adapter in its place and oddly enough, I get the same random spikes, so it doesn't seem to the specific drivers...ahhhh!! And yet my Vista laptop works perfectly fine.

Back