Linksys WRT54GL Troubleshooting

dextr3k

Gawd
Hey guys, I just picked up a WRT54GL, apparently its just a repackaged WRT54G v4. Anyways, I set it up everything was good, and i decided to try out some dd-wrt fun. Loaded it up with v23, everything works fine after a reset and its smooth.

However, I opened up the wireless settings, put in a WPA protection and started to broadcast. The lappy I'm trying to use to connect to it WILL detect the connection, however, it has 0/5 bars for strength. I know this is incorrect because the router is no more than 2 feet away. So I double click the connection and input the passphrase, and theres no go. The error message is just cannot connect to wireless router.

Trouble shooting: I've disabled protection, reverted back to the original Linksys firmware, reset the router, rebooted my laptop, I even changed channels, without any luck.

Can anyone give me any hints? Im trying not to conclude a hardware problem, but its getting dangerously close :confused:

Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks.

yoru laptop may not work with WPA. enable wep and see if that resolves your situation.

Disabled WEP, disabled protection all together and still no go =(.

I forgot to mention that the router i was using before was under WPA, so i know its compatible =(.

if you disabled all security and still no go then thats kind of odd.

you dont have mac filtering on do you?

What util are you using on the laptop to configure your connection? Sometimes I have seen inexplicable problems that go away just by changing from Intel client to Windows client and vice versa.

Im using windows xp SP2. As far as I can see I do have a unique SSID.
Trying to use the default windows wireless zero to configure/connect to the router.
New fresh out of the box router so no mac filtering enabled yet.
Laptop was working fine with the other router, so I can only conclude its the new router thats causing problems. =\

Have you changed the transmit and receive antenna at all on the router? My connection on my v2 was terrible until I turned it back from the right antenna(had a higher gain omni on it) and back to auto, and put the stock antennas back on it.

nope, didnt change any hardware, all stock on the router. i can reach my laptop and put 1 hand on the router no problem, So i dont think its a range problem.

Anyways, going to return the router now, even if i somehow miraculously fix it, its still too much trouble to try to keep.

Thanks for all the help guys =)

did already =) restored it to the original firmware, at which point it stopped detecting my cable modem and i was worse off than when i started. lol!

well, I'm glad to hear that it wasn't the firmware.

Still sucks that you are having troubles with it, good luck getting a new one. Where did you get it btw? Gonna get the same type when you take it back?

took it back to the local store, guy was nice enough to believe me that the router was complete crap, so he gave me a full refund.

Took my money and went to Futureshop (Canadian Best Buy) and bought a D-Link for $50 cheaper. Now my network is up and sexy.

boo, my dlink would always crash on me, I was gonna go the to GL. Which one did you get?

got the WBR-1310 very sleek. Its much more appealing to me than the linksys design.

Back