Linksys WRT54GC $19.97 @ OD

nonlnear

2[H]4U
Sorry if it's been posted. (Forum search for wrt54gc turned up nothing recent.)

link

Use coupon code 49158295

This has been up on slickdeals for a little while now. I just got one, and had assumed that it was posted here already.

Damn, not available in their Canadian stores. U.S. only, apparently.

Nice deal.

I just checked. It's not dead. After taxes and whatnot, it comes to $21.62

says the coupon code lasts for 05/13/2006... $40 NICE, this is by far the cheapest you'll ever see this, even with a mail in rebate it usually doesn't come down to 20... 30 MAYBE...

this is a great deal, i'm gonna see about getting two, by comparison i just spent more than this on a bottle of jager and a 2 liter of coke... THATS CHEAP

Just ordered one, don't really need it but it may come in handy. Can I use the firewall on this to replace Zone Alarm on my PC?

inscape01 said:
Just ordered one, don't really need it but it may come in handy. Can I use the firewall on this to replace Zone Alarm on my PC?

Yes, if you aren't using dial-up. Zone Alarm is terrible IMO.

Bah.. 0 left in stock... I need to give up sleeping so I don't miss out on these - was exactly what I needed

goodcooper said:
says the coupon code lasts for 05/13/2006... $40 NICE, this is by far the cheapest you'll ever see this, even with a mail in rebate it usually doesn't come down to 20... 30 MAYBE...

Well, Staples has this for $20 after rebate last Sunday -- I got one. The deal may still be going on. It is a $25 rebate, though. So you will pay tax on a $45 purchase.

The OD deal is definately better, but Staples would be a good 2nd choice if OD is OOS.

The Staples is also an on-line rebate -- a very good thing. Not as good as no rebate, but OK.

Off-topic, but people hate rebates in general. However, Staples on-line rebates seem like a wonderful thing. There is no way that they can complain that they did not get the UPC, or that you never filled it out properly, or that it was lost in the mail. The on-line rebate seems to be to be as close to a guaranteed thing as you can get,.

Might have to check out the Staples one. I could really use one of these. All the OD's within 50 miles of me are out of them.

Hmm. Not sure if I should jump on this or not. It's about 50/50 on good reviews and bad ones.

Anyone have any experience with this one? Granted it is only $20.

just picked one up, my parents just got directway so they are in need of a router. $21 shipped, thnx OP.

inscape01 said:

No. The router will prevent many external threats from connecting to your machine from the Net. Zonealarm (and software firewalls like it) will prevent problems on your system from connection back out to the Net.

99% of home routers have no limits on transmitting data from inside to outside. They only block outside to inside. While adding the router will help greatly, it is not a all in one answer.

--

To make this comment more relevant to the thread - I already checked with OpenWRT alt firmware and they don't currently have a hack for this model - anyone know if any of the other alternative firmwares will work on this?

stuntjumper said:
Anyone know if this can be turned into an Access Point?

from the linksys website:
# All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point

So I would assume so.

paco said:
from the linksys website:
# All-in-one Internet-sharing Router, 4-port Switch, and Wireless-G (802.11g) Access Point

So I would assume so.

Thanks. This would make for a good AP if it could in fact be converted. Good deal.

Puterguru said:
Anyway to use this with Vonage?
Nah, you're thinkin of the PAP2. They look the same. You need a Router with Phone jacks to use VOIP mate.

Cheers

Ok well I tried to get in on this a few days ago but apparently its all out of stock online but I saw the sunday newspaper add today and the router was on there for $20 in store so if you want to pick one up at the local store you can. Although this was in the local LA times and also I would call first check if the store has them in stock. I tried a few places that were sold out but I managed to find a store with 2 left so I picked both of them up =)

If your office depot has them instock at the story they are $19.99 out the door.

if staples has them instock also you can do a price match of 110% and it will be $18 out the door.

i have this router..

it actually has better range then most routers I have tried (even compared to much larger full size routers)

However, throughput is around 20Mbps on an open and strong connection. No where near it's 54Mbps theorectical peformance. (and that is tranfering files between the desktop and laptop with intel 2200BG)

it does WPA2 and WPA2 + Mixed just fine. Throughput drops to around 15Mbps in encrypted mode, but the actual throughput becomes more stable.

I do not recommend this router if you Depend on UPNP (it only works occasionally for me using the american 1.02.8 firmware, not at all with the EU 1.04.5 firmware).

Also, this router sucks at handling a lot of fast connections (think P2P @ 100Mbps) but so do most routers. They just aren't powerfull enough to keep up with my desktop's throughput.

So yeah... I would buy this if you need something cheap, reliable, and "just works" for the most part. But don't expect it to give great performance.

Back