Linksys WRT54G Antenna Upgrade

I would like to strengthen the signal for my router. I looked at the high gain antennas by cisco for linksys. Will these antennas screw on my current wrt54g wireless router? Also how do I remove the current antennas to attach the new ones? all help appreciated

Thanks,
Mark

The current antennas just screw off. Look here for an explanation on all the different types of connectors.

Just match up what connectors you have, and buy accordingly.

what version of wrt54g do you have? i think version 7 doesnt have a removable antenna

I'll install it in a bit. I'm contemplating in getting a new router anyways. But if they are removable I will just put in new antennas and update the firmware.

Once I install this, how do i make it so only certain computers can access the router through wireless?

I tried to access my router through http://192.168.1.1/, but it didn't work....

The antennas are detachable:D I will get a pair as soon as I can.

Once I install this, how do i make it so only certain computers can access the router through wireless?

I tried to access my router through http://192.168.1.1/, but it didn't work....

The antennas are detachable:D I will get a pair as soon as I can.

are you trying to access that on a wired pc? wireless wont work unless the connection is already setup

The pc you are trying to access the web interface on has to be plugged into one of the LAN ports on the router...

I'll do that when I get home. I had to talk to the boss today because someone snitched on me for some stupid reason.

Just remember that the connection is 2 way so upgrading antennas just on the router itself may not gain you much distance between it and a laptop/dektop adapter (since that needs to transmit back) - it would however increase the strength of a bridge if the other wireless router also had upgraded antennas. It also may gain you stability if you have a particularly active cloud around you - although switching to another channel maybe a better option.

Wireless antennas on home/stationary routers are either RP-TNC connectors or sometimes SMA connectors. Because of the frequency range we're dealing with (microwave) you are best served by getting an antenna with the proper connector on it than by using any adapters anywhere in the signal path or else you're shooting yourself in the foot.

The signal loss caused by using even one in-line adapter (like an RP-TNC to SMA or something like that) will basically negate any benefits in gain you'd get if you were using the correct antenna with the correct connector in the first place.

Just something to consider in the big picture...

Wireless antennas on home/stationary routers are either RP-TNC connectors or sometimes SMA connectors. Because of the frequency range we're dealing with (microwave) you are best served by getting an antenna with the proper connector on it than by using any adapters anywhere in the signal path or else you're shooting yourself in the foot.

The signal loss caused by using even one in-line adapter (like an RP-TNC to SMA or something like that) will basically negate any benefits in gain you'd get if you were using the correct antenna with the correct connector in the first place.

Just something to consider in the big picture...

It would be nice if the Hawking antennas told you exactly what connector it was using, except they just give you this little blurb:
[FONT=&quot]Note: Hawking Hi-Gain Antennas are designed to work with all wireless devices with removable antennas. SMA and TNC connectors are included, others may be ordered directly from Hawking.

Also, Joe, would the ability to up the signal strength from the standard 43mW to say 86mW negate the use of an adapter? All the 3rd party firmwares allow you to do that.

FWIW, I have 2 WRT54G's in my house both with Tomato. One acting as my main WiFi router, and the other talking directly to the first one in Wireless Ethernet Bridge Mode. On all 4 antennas, I have one of these. Tomato's signal meter's report a 5dBi increase in signal with them on, over not using them. I gotta say, I'm very impressed with what a little cardstock and tinfoil can do. Something to consider.
[/FONT]

FWIW, I have 2 WRT54G's in my house both with Tomato. One acting as my main WiFi router, and the other talking directly to the first one in Wireless Ethernet Bridge Mode. On all 4 antennas, I have one of these. Tomato's signal meter's report a 5dBi increase in signal with them on, over not using them. I gotta say, I'm very impressed with what a little cardstock and tinfoil can do. Something to consider.
[/FONT][/FONT]

This is what I was referring to before, it is a different situation to if you are trying to boost signal strength to a consuming device which you have no control in boosting it's signal (i.e. a laptop or standard adapter - not referring to those with third party ariels)

yay we fixed the firmware. We didn't use tomato or the other one. Now I just need to order them antennas:D. Thanks everyone. Kudos to all.

Mark

WirelessG is good for 100 feet. Why would you want to increase that range? I'm surious because 100 feet covers your whole house plus the dude next door. Am I missing why you would wan tto increase it? If I understand wirelessN is good for 900 feet correct?

I only get 3-4 bars through the wall. I want FIVE!

A sledgehammer from your local hardware store maybe a cheaper option to get those 5 bars ;) (seriously depending on what your wall construction is - you may never gain anymore than you currently have without removing the physical obstacles. Having set up a lot of wireless networks in a variety of constructions, A modern stud wall with the metal studs is a lot worse for pass through than 18 inches of stone).

WirelessG is good for 100 feet. Why would you want to increase that range? I'm surious because 100 feet covers your whole house plus the dude next door. Am I missing why you would wan tto increase it? If I understand wirelessN is good for 900 feet correct?

That depends on conditions. My old house has thick walls, thick floors, and trees outside. This kills the signal. Thus I need 3 routers to cover the house, and that doesn't include the basement.

Btw, op, once I get some new antennas in, I'll post pics of the setup. (end of the week)

and since the op has a wrt54g v2.2, the anetennas are definitly removable. Be careful when flashing with firmware. Use VINT for DD-WRT and non ND for tomato.
Using non vint, or ND and you risk bricking the unit.
Also don't run the router at 200mhz, there is a core bug that will freeze the router if you copy large amounts of data. Choose 183mhz, or 216mhz.

Random question.. is the "Tornado" Firmware more or less secure for that router.
Its the same router I have and I was thinking about just getting a newer router but if I can update the firmware and it be secure then I will do that

Its "Tomato". And yes, it can be more secure.... If you are using WPA2 thats about as good as it gets. Most people upgrade for the extra features and stability.

thread crap

What's more secure on the WRT54GL, Is it AES, or TKIP + AES?

thread crap

What's more secure on the WRT54GL, Is it AES, or TKIP + AES?

Supposdly somebody broke wpa tkip encryption. So I would venture to guess WPA2 AES would be the most secure.

thank you

I do want to mention though that the choices were WPA2 AES and WPA2 TKIP + AES. Neither were the older WPA standard TKIP. Answers most likely the same though so thanks

Back