Linksys WRT45G v.6 and wireless bridging...

stop!theradio

2[H]4U
Ok, so I've searched and searched and couldn't find anything useful on the subject. There are firmwares for older versions of the router that allow for wireless bridging, but the word is that it's next to impossible to get a custom FW for the version I have that allows it.

I have a wireless router in one room that feeds a signal, and I have another computer in a different room that I want to use the Linksys router with to obtain the signal and get internet with. Can anyone help me out?

DD-WRT lists the v6 under its supported hardware list for the micro build. The micro build supports client mode bridging. Installation is not as simple as it is for WRT54GL and other such versions, but can be done if you follow the specific steps. Read and follow the DD-WRT docs for finding and installing the right version for this device. This is half the battle. Then read and follow the docs carefully for setting up client bridge mode.

Gah, I flashed the router and it was working for a bit but all the sudden I just can't access it from any computer anymore :(

If you just flashed it, then the router's IP might have changed to the default used by DD-WRT.
If you just set it for client bridge mode, then you might not be able to access a DHCP server through the bridge until it successfully connects to the main network. Moreover, unless you changed the IP on the bridge to be compatible with the main network, even if you can connect to the main network, you might not be able to connect to the bridge. One solution is to manually assign a compatible IP to the computer being used to set up the bridge until the bridge is fully configured and connecting successfully.

I have my WRT54G v3 running Tomato Firmware in Wireless Ethernet Bridge mode aswell. Once you put in all the information and reset in WEB mode, you can no longer access it as it is not a DHCP client, but it is still working.

You just need to make sure you put in all the correct information for your homes WiFi network before you put in in WEB mode, if you do it wrong you will have to hard reset the router to be able to log into it again.

Back