Linksys wireless network problem in CS:S -- Packet loss

Avengeance

Gawd
Well I just got my wireless network setup. I have a Linksys WRT54G Rotuer, and a WUSB54G usb wireless G adapter for my computer. The router is probably about 10 feet from my computer so the signal strength is great. The problem is when I am playing CS, i get a weird pause every 15-20 secconds or so. I will jsut be playing and I will keep going but then it will pull me back to where i was when i got the packet loss. I hope that makes sense. There is nothing disrupting the signal, cause it happened at 2 different houses. Also I have seen a few other people have the same problem but havent found a fix for it you. If anyone can let me know how to fix this that would be great. I am running the newest firmware and drivers BTW. Thank you.

Im not certain about this but linksys made some crappy firmwares that cant handle udp properly, in most cases rolling back one revision does the trick, theres a thread on steampowered forums with all the evil model no.s

I have a solution for this! Quote from a team fortress board I frequent:

Q: I recently upgraded to XP Pro or installed a wireless Linksys/Netgear router onto an XP Pro Machine. Everything is fine except every so often I get massive lag spikes and a temporary time out. It goes away after that then comes back a minute later. It continuously does this and is currently unbearable. How can I fix it?

A: This is something that happens with some peoples wireless routers and XP Pro. In order to fix it you need to go to Start --> Run --> then run "services.msc" When that opens up towards the bottom should be something called "Zero Wireless Config" Right click on it and select "Properties" In properties is a section called "Startup Type" it will be set to automatic. Set it to manual and restart your computer.

*WARNING*Read the following before you restart. Once you restart your computer you will NOT have internet. You will need to again run "services.msc" and this time right click "Zero Wireless Config" and tell it to "Start" the service. Once you have told it to start it will attempt to establish an internet connection (You wont actually see any dialog saying so, but it is). Once this connection has been established, and you can browse websites, use IRC, ect... right click on "Zero Wireless Config" and select "Stop". This will NOT stop your internet. Your lag spikes will be gone.

Now, every time you want to use the internet free of lag spikes (After say a computer restart or shutdown) you will have to run "services.msc" and select "Start" wait for the internet connection to be established, then "Stop" it after it has been established.

*Note*: If you have AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) set to run at startup and you tell Zero Wireless Config to "Start" so you can get your internet connection, your AIM will NOT start until you completely close it and reopen it.

Its kind of lame having to start and stop the service everytime you restart the computer, especially if you have computer iliterate family. However, it does solve the problem.

Cool, thanks for the help guys. I put the program in the startup folder and all, havent tested to see how well it works but I will in a little bit. Anyways thanks for the fast responses.

Odd, i've never had that problem with my Linksys :confused: But I woudln't dream of playing online games via wireless connection, thats what ethernet is for. Simply to much packet loss, retransmission, ect..ect...

IceWind said:
Odd, i've never had that problem with my Linksys :confused: But I woudln't dream of playing online games via wireless connection, thats what ethernet is for. Simply to much packet loss, retransmission, ect..ect...

Other than this one issue, I havent had any problems with 'packet loss, retransmission, etc...'

streetkid said:
Other than this one issue, I havent had any problems with 'packet loss, retransmission, etc...'

Cetain applications and uses such as web browsing you won't really notice this, but during highly ping rate sensative applications like games, you will. With wireless, you'll get lost, damaged, missing packets and retransmissions no matter how good your wireless is.

I have the exact same network components. I used to have that problem and I fixed it with the same fix. Now you have to use Linksys's program to connect though.

Back