Linksys WET54g Notes

Asgorath

[H]ard|Gawd
I bought a WET54g and it has been an absolute nightmare trying to get it to work right. I thought I might share my experiences so they may help someone in the future.

1) Put the newest firmware on it!!! The old firmwares are terrible. When they released this product it was terribly flaky. The firmware update button is in the 'help' tab

2) Make sure your network SSID is typed EXACTLY the same as your network. This is case sensitive

3) After you get everything configured properly, power cycle your modem, then router, then bridge

4) Play with the antenna. Even if the site survey tells you you're getting a high number like 80 or 90%, that doesn't mean anything. Here is what I recommend.

-Assume the WET is 192.168.1.226, Go to a wired computer on your network. Open a command prompt and type:

ping 192.168.1.226 -n 1000

Then move the antenna little by little until the pings become successul and the ping times become small numbers. I had huge packet drops at 90% signal, then tweaked the antenna 10 degrees downward and I had very few packet drops. Trick it out.

5) Because of the tricky antenna issue, once you find a perfect antenna position, double stick tape the WET down to the place you are putting it, and make sure the antenna screw is tight so it can't move. You'll be frustrated down the line if it just decides to move on you.

Good luck. These WET devices are awesome, but they are a pain in the ass too.

Back