Linksys WEP and PCMCIA Card

MadJack

[H]ard|Gawd
A friend asked me to take a look at the way he setup his wireless router. He has a Linksys Wireless G router and he uses a USB G adapter for his kids desktop system and a WPC54G Ver. 4 PCMCIA card in a Dell Note book. Both systems use WinXP Service Pack 1.

We had done all the correct things, changed the name of his SSID, changed password and setup WEP. He has the latest firmware installed on the router. We turned off broadcasting.
Here is the strange part. On the Dell notebook, it did not have WEP setup but was connecting to the internet. It seems to be using the proper SSID. I tried to change the settings for the WEP but the changes would not save.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm kind of stumped, any ideas?

Ive noticed that sometimes when inputting the password phrase, instead of the hexadecimal string, it will not accept it. Then when I punch in the hex, it works. Try that. Or upgrade the computers to SP1 and upgrade the routers firmware.

TJe Machines are all on SP1 but I will check the firmware updates and try that.

first, get both machines all of the latest security patches and windows updates (i remember a few post-SP1 windows updates were specifically for wifi).

if you didn't use the latest software from the linksys website, uninstall the wifi nic's and reinstall using the latest drivers from linksys.

also, what linksys router/version is it?

He has a Linksys WRT54G, He is going to send me the version of the firmware he has on the router later tonight. I will post it then.

Aye, try updating the firmwares and make sure you have the newest version of the Linksys utility software as well.

Back